Score a win with family & friends when you serve up some fun & festive chocolate marshmallow football popcorn balls during the game! Fun right?! These popcorn balls were such a hit at our house! Think rice krispie treats, only made with popcorn! And to get these to look more like footballs, we opted to make them chocolatey. The result is an absolutely delicious sweet & salty treat, perfect for football watching or tailgating!
We actually made these as part of our Football Popcorn Bar for some homegating fun! It’s such a fun idea for a football party and one that is easy to put together too! They were such an awesome addition to the popcorn bar! Of course, these little football popcorn balls would also be great as part of a whole football-themed dessert spread.
Fun Football Treats
Love! So, here are some additional fun football treats you could consider, in addition to the popcorn balls:
- Football Field Cookies
- Football Jersey Krispie Treats
- Chocolate Strawberry Football Cupcakes
- Football Brownies
- Team Spirit Cake Push-up Pops
- Football Oreo Truffles
No matter what football treats you choose, you can’t go wrong! But we happen to think these football popcorn balls are perfect!
How to Make Football-Shaped Popcorn Balls
I love treats that aren’t difficult to make, but still yield fun & tasty results! And that’s exactly what you get with these football-shaped popcorn balls! You’ll start just like making any sort of cereal treats – with butter and marshmallows! Since I wanted these brown like footballs, I also added cocoa powder to the mix. Super yum!
Then, you’ll combine the popped popcorn with the melty mixture. You can use any popcorn you have on hand. We happened to have some buttery microwave popcorn that made these popcorn balls extra delicious – really giving it that perfect combination of sweet & salty. Once the mixture is cool enough to handle, shape small handfuls into a rough football shape! You can make them as big or small as you want. But I found that about the size of the palm of my hand (I have fairly small hands) were good. It made about 10 that size.
Then, once those were done and set, I piped on football laces using some melted candy coating. The result is these sweet & salty little edible footballs! So fun!
So, you definitely can’t go wrong with serving up these little football treats for your next game-time fun! Heres the printable recipe!
Chocolate Marshmallow Popcorn Balls Recipe:
- 1 bag microwave popcorn, popped (or about 10 cups popped popcorn)
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 TBSP Cocoa powder
- White/vanilla candy melts/candy coating
- Place your large pot on the stove over medium low heat. Add the butter, melt. Once melted, add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Add in the cocoa powder and stir until well combined.
- Remove pot from the heat and stir in the popcorn until well-coated (be sure to remove any unpopped kernels).
- Transfer the mixture to a wax-paper or silicone mat lined baking sheet. Allow mixture to cool just enough that you can safely handle it (so still warm, but not hot).
- Coat your hands in butter or cooking spray to shape small handfuls into football shapes. Continue making small football shapes (and recoating hands as needed) until all the mixture has been used.
- Once you've used all the mixture, melt a small amount of white candy bark to pipe laces on to the footballs. You could also use frosting for this.
- Place in the refrigerator to set the white candy coating and that's it!
- Serve & enjoy!
Like it? Pin it!Pin It