If you’re looking for a great Thanksgiving (or Christmas) side dish that is easy to make and something just about everyone will like, then look no further. This cranberry apple pineapple salad was the first dish I brought to Thanksgiving as a married lady and we’ve had it nearly very Thanksgiving and Christmas since then. I have no idea where the original recipe came from, but since it involves Jell-o, that could very well be the source. It’s easy to make and delicious to eat!
Cranberry Apple Pineapple Salad
– 1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
– 1 8oz. box raspberry jello
– 1 20oz. can crushed pineapple
– 1 granny smith apple
– 1C chopped pecans (optional)
– drain juice from crushed pineapple into a large glass measuring cup (set aside the pineapple in a medium bowl). Add water to the juice to get 3 cups. Boil liquids.
– Pour hot liquids into serving dish and dissolve the jello in the hot liquid.. Add can of whole berry sauce–break up in the jello. Put in fridge to start setting.
– Chop apple & pecans (I leave the skin on the apples). Mix with pineapple.
– Once the jello mixture has cooled and is just starting to set, stir in the fruit & nut mixture. Return to the fridge to set completely.
Note: I almost always make this the day/night before to let set completely & let the flavors combine. The picture shows a double recipe made in my trifle bowl.
The salad is just the right combination of sweet & tart! And, if you’re looking for some other great holiday recipes, check out these favorites from some of my bloggy friends: