Try this pizza pasta skillet meal for the perfect trifecta of convenient dinners – a meal that’s ready in less than 20 minutes, one pan for easy clean up, and a dinner that the kids will love too!
As a busy mom, I know how crazy trying to get dinner on the table can be. Rushing to get to practices or events, homework time, the kids’ witching hour- those hours between 4 and 6 can be seriously hectic! On busy days like that, I LOVE making one pan meals! They’re so convenient and make clean-up a breeze with just large item to clean. And, this pizza pasta skillet is one seriously easy-to-make and delicious one pot meal! I’ve made quite a few one pot meals before. But, truth be told, I still hadn’t tried a one pan pasta recipe! That all changed this week when I was introduced to Barilla® Pronto™ Penne! You guys..this is pasta specifically designed for one pot meals! No waiting for water in the pot to boil, no draining, no multiple pots/pans! So awesome!
I had dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes and the kids were thrilled!! I mean, what’s not to love about pizza pasta?! Our kids LOVE pizza casserole, so I new it would be a hit! But, this one pan skillet version was SO much easier – cooking AND clean-up were a breeze!Everything just goes in the one pan, starting with cooking up some mild Italian sausage. My family loves mild sausage pizza, so this was a good pick for us. But, the beauty of this recipe is that if you don’t like sausage, you can totally use something else. Just add your own favorite pizza toppings.
If you do like sausage pizza though, then you can follow the recipe exactly! I started by cooking the sausage up in the pan first. Once it was cooked through, I followed the directions on the Pronto™ box! I just dumped the pasta into the pan and added some water. After 10 minutes, the water was absorbed and the pasta was ready for sauce & toppings. Dump in your favorite sauce (The Barilla® Roasted Garlic Sauce was perfect in this), add cheese and any other toppings you want. To really kick things up a notch & get the cheese extra bubbly, you can place your pan under the broiler for just a minute or two! And, that’s it!! Delicious pizza pasta made in one pan in just about 20 minutes! So easy and so good!
One Pan Pizza Pasta Skillet
- 1 lb mild Italian Sausage ground
- 1 box Barilla® Pronto™ Penne Pasta
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 jar favorite pasta sauce I used Barilla® Roasted Garlic
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- optional additional pizza toppings
- In a large skillet pan or pot, cook the ground Italian. If desired, blot off any excess oil with a paper towel.
- Pour entire box contents of Penne pasta into the pan. Cover with 3 cups cold water. Cook on high for 10 minutes (water will come to a boil).
- After about 10 minutes (when pasta is cooked through and most of the water gone, pour the jar of sauce over the meat and pasta.
- Add cheese over the top of the pasta. Add any other toppings you'd like.
- To look more pizza-like and melt the cheese further, place pan in over to broil for 1-2 minutes.
You could make it a meat-lovers by adding other meats, a supreme by adding lots of chopped veggies - really anything you'd like! If you do decide to broil the dish, just make sure your pan is oven-safe. AND, make sure you keep an eye on it. You can go from bubbly to burnt very quickly on broil!
So if you’re looking for a delicious and convenient weeknight meal, this one is definitely a keeper!!! Be sure to pin it for later! It got rave reviews in our house (from the kids AND adults)! And now with the Barilla® Pronto™ pasta line, I’m dreaming up all kinds of one pot pasta recipes!
Would YOUR family like pizza pasta? What one pot meals would you make with Barilla® Pronto™?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Barilla® . The opinions and text are all mine.