The other day, I shared with you about the new Easy Recipe Finder from Kroger & ConAgra Foods
. With our March Madness party, hiking, and shopping for the boys’ birthday party next weekend, I didn’t have it in me to come up with much for dinner on Sunday night. So, I did a few searches on the “Give Every Night New Flavor” site and the Pizza ‘Calzone’ Bake came up as an option.
It sounded super yummy, different, and easy to make! So, off to our favorite Fry’s Marketplace to pick up the ingredients (you can read all about the shop here on Whrrl). Here’s what you need:
Pizza ‘Calzone’ Bake Recipe: (taken from Give Every Night New Flavor)
*12 ounces Italian pork sausage, remove casings if present
* 1 cup frozen chopped onion
* 1 cup frozen chopped green bell pepper
* PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
* 1 pkg (13.8 oz each) refrigerated pizza crust dough
* 1-1/2 cups (from 26-oz can) Hunt’s® Garlic & Herb Pasta Sauce, divided
* 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Cook sausage, onion and bell pepper in large skillet over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes or until sausage is crumbled and no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Drain.
2. Spray 15×10-inch baking sheet with cooking spray. Unroll pizza dough onto baking sheet and press into 14×10-inch rectangle (Do a better job of this than me so your dough is evenly dispersed). Spread 1/2 cup pasta sauce lengthwise down center of dough to within 1/2 inch of each short edge.
3. Spoon meat mixture evenly on top of sauce. Sprinkle cheese evenly over meat mixture.
Pull up each long edge over filling and pinch edges together to seal. Pinch short ends together to seal.
4. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until deep golden brown. Heat remaining 1 cup pasta sauce in covered container in microwave on HIGH 1-1/2 minutes or until hot.
Cut Pizza Bake into 8 slices. Serve sauce over slices.
We thought this was super yummy and I love how easy it was to put together! We made a few changes to the recipe–I used Italian Turkey Sausage and omitted the green pepper as no one here is a big fan. I would love it too if Hunt’s had a low sodium version of the sauce, as it was a bit high for our taste. But, otherwise, this was great! A different twist on the homemade pizza night and one we’ll use again.
If you’re looking for some easy recipes, be sure to check out the new Give Every Night New Flavor site
. With just a few quick clicks, you’ll have great options to switch up dinners (or lunches too)!
What kinds of things do you like to make dinner planning easier?
Disclosure: I was compensated by Collective Bias, but all opinions and experiences are my own. For more information, read my disclosure policy.