Easy to Make
I LOVE a recipe that comes together easily in the slow cooker! Soups are perfect for that – just throw everything in the crock pot and let it go. This one is especially great for using up leftover ham. Ham is such a common main dish at so many holidays throughout the year, often leaving you with a ham bone and/or the back end of your spiral cut ham. So you can make this dish with those ham bone leftovers to really get the most of out your ham! It’s probably not a big surprise then that I tend to make a big batch of this soup after Christmas and after Easter! It serves up great with a side of cornbread – YUM!!!!
Making Ham & Bean Soup
Making this soup is SOOooo easy! You just chop up the ham & veggies and you’re all set! That’s it. There’s really not much too it! You just dump everything in the crock pot and let it go. This recipe even uses canned beans to keep it simple! Super easy!
Which beans are best for ham and bean soup?
You really can’t go wrong with white beans (Cannellini, Great Northern, or Navy) or pinto beans. I’ve made this recipe multiple times with whatever canned white bean or pinto beans I have on hand. It’s really just a matter of personal flavor preference or convenience with whatever you have on hand.
Time Saving Tips
In addition to canned beans (versus soaking and cooking dry beans), you can save tine even further by using frozen chopped onion and frozen sliced carrots. I try to keep a couple of bags of both in my freezer because they are SOOoooo easy for throwing together in soups! Fresh minced garlic in the fridge is another convenience item that you can use in this too!
For more recipes using ham, check out:
- 10+ Recipes using Leftover Ham
- Skinny Ham & Potato Soup
- Cheesy Ham & Broccoli Casserole
- Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
Here’s the printable Slow Cooker Ham & Bean Soup recipe:
- 1 ham bone (with majority of meat removed)
- 2-2.5 cups diced/cubed ham
- 2 15oz cans (approx 4 cups) white or pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 3-4 carrots, diced
- 3-4 celery ribs, diced
- ½ - 1 whole onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (approx 1TBSP)
- 6 cups liquid (can use ham stock, chicken stock, water or a combo)
- 2 bay leaves
- Prep ingredients (drain, rinse, wash, chop).
- Place ham bone in crock.
- Dump in all the meat and vegetables. Cover with liquid and add the bay leave.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Once done, remove bay leaves & ham bone.
- Serve and enjoy!
*This post originally appeared March 2016 and has since been updated.Pin It