I’m so excited to share this cheesy broccoli bake side dish with you today as part of a sponsored partnership with Shamrock Farms. Rich and creamy, it’s a delicious recipe addition to your favorite family meal. With Thanksgiving and Christmas both coming up fast, the holiday season is upon us and that means you’ll need some tasty side dish options for your family meals. For a vegetable side option, broccoli is a popular choice at our house! It’s one of the few hot veggies that everyone agrees on. With three growing boys, I’m happy to go along with broccoli since they all like it! Although we regularly serve roasted or steamed broccoli plain, you want something a little more special for the holidays. And that’s where this delicious cheesy broccoli bake comes in! Yummmm! Move over green bean casserole, this broccoli bake is rich & delicious with great flavor and NO condensed cream of anything soups! This recipe is entirely from scratch, with simple ingredients and tastes GREAT! So it’s easy enough to make for any meal, but it’s rich & tasty enough to make for the holidays!
That photo shows most of the main ingredients, which is basically a whole bunch of fresh broccoli and some delicious dairy products. The *secret* to making this recipe extra decadent is the Shamrock Farms premium Heavy Whipping Cream (formulated with chefs in mind with higher butterfat, zero trans-fat and a convenient flip top cap). We love using Shamrock Farms products as they’re made with with pure, wholesome milk containing no added growth hormones. They’re a local company for us (Arizona family-owned for three generations) and we love supporting local businesses! So, you combine the Shamrock Farms premium Heavy Whipping Cream, with milk, butter, and cheeses to create a delicious sauce for the broccoli. Mmmmmm….so creamy and cheesy and delicious!!! And, it’s not loaded with carbs like so many holiday side dishes – perfect for those following low carb diet plans. Here’s the recipe:
Cheesy Broccoli Bake Side Dish
- 8-10 C fresh broccoli florets
- 5 TBSP butter divided
- 1/2 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1.5 C milk
- 1.5 C Shamrock Farms Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 TBSP all-purpose flour
- 3-4 C shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3/4 C shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 eggs beaten
- Preheat oven to 325. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Wash and cut your fresh broccoli into bite-sized florets. Place in microwave safe dish with a small amount of water and microwave for 2-5 minutes (just until tender crisp). Drain well and place into the baking dish.
- In small saucepan, melt butter approx 2 TBSP butter. Add chopped onion and cook over medium heat until slightly brown. Add remaining butter, melt, and whisk in the flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg until smooth. Continue whisking while gradually adding in milk and heavy cream. Slowly bring to a boil, stirring until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat, stir in cheeses until melted. Quickly stir in beaten eggs until well-combined and pour sauce over broccoli.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes until bubbly. For a little extra browning or crispness, you can place it under the broiler for the last 2 -3 minutes.
* The melted Parmesan cheese can create a slight grainy texture. To avoid, add an extra 1/2 cup of monterey jack cheese (or cheddar, gruyere, swiss, etc) and just sprinkle the top with Parmesan.
* Also, be sure to use FRESHLY shredded cheese instead of store-bought shredded cheese to avoid a grainy texture to the sauce.
So good! It’s a hit with both the adults and the kids at our house, which is always a win in my book! It’s sure to be a hit for your holiday meals! So, be sure to pin this recipe for later!
And speaking of the holidays, Shamrock Farms has a fun way to celebrate for those in Arizona with the Joy to the Herd Event:
- Holiday-inspired Farm Tour complete with Santa, snow, crafts and more! 15 tons of snow? You bet. Visits with Roxie and Santa? For sure. Grab your mittens and your camera and get the whole family ready for our annual “Joy to the Herd” holiday celebration at the Farm on December 1 – 3!
- You won’t want to miss this festive event, complete with a guided tour through our working dairy farm along with plenty of holiday activities in the Welcome Barn! Face painting, a balloon artist, holiday crafts and best of all – photos and visits with Santa with no long waits or packaged photo deals. All of these activities are included in our affordable admission price!
Reservations and pre-payment are required. Visit https://www.shamrockfarms.net/farm-tour/farm-events/ or call 602-477-2462 to book your special holiday tour today!
Like it? Pin it!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Shamrock Farms. The opinions and text are all mine.