If you follow along on Instagram or Facebook, then you probably already know we just had the most amazing time in the Caribbean. We were in Turks & Caicos for the Social Media on the Sand Conference hosted by Beaches Resorts. The turquiose waters, powder-soft sand beaches, the tropical smells, the friendly people…it was paradise in every sense of the word! I have SO much to share, including some fun recipes like this one for Caribbean Rice & Peas. As part of the conference, we got to do one small group in-depth experience. I was part of the cooking group who got to go behind the scenes and watch the chefs prepare Caribbean rice & peas, a seafood curry dish, and fresh conch salad. Everything was soooo good (and I don’t even usually like curry much). So I’m thrilled that I get to share the recipes with all of you! We’re starting with the rice because it’s the easiest of the three to make at home! Here’s the recipe:
Caribbean Rice & Peas Recipe
- 1 can Kidney beans 19oz, NOT drained
- 1 can Coconut milk 14 oz
- 2 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 small onion or 2 stalks scallion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp salt to taste
- dash of black pepper to taste
- 2 cups Long grain rice rinsed and drained
- Into a 4-cup (or larger) measuring cup, drain the liquid from the can of beans and add the coconut milk. Then, add enough water to reach four cups of liquid total.
- In a large pot on the stove, add liquid mixture, beans, garlic, onion, thyme, and salt/pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add rice and continue to boil on high for 2 minutes.
- Cover pot, turn heat to low, and simmer until rice has absorbed all the liquid (about 20 min).
- Fluff with fork and serve!
YUM! You can eat all kinds of deliciousness just like this when you stay at a Beaches Resort! For our experience, they served it up with the flavorful curry seafood dish – recipe coming soon!! In the meantime, you can head over to the tropical recipes roundup (with over 50 tropical recipes featured) to get a tasty main dish to serve the rice with! I know it would go great with a number of things! And…stay tuned for more Caribbean recipes & Beaches posts to come!
Have YOU tried Caribbean Rice & Peas?
Disclosure: Recipe above courtesy of the fine chefs at Beaches Resorts. Group shot above taken by Randymon! 😉 I was invited to attend the Social Media on the Sand Conference hosted by Beaches Resorts and as such our fees were discounted. However, as always, all opinions, experiences, and photos above are entirely my own! #BeachesMoms