How about a good ‘ole Midwestern church recipe that is perfect for the summer?! My mother-in-law just made this for us out of an old, small town church cookbook! The original recipe was called “Strawberry Yum-Yum”. But, I didn’t think that was quite descript enough. So, we’ve deemed it strawberry delight frozen dessert and it is indeed as good as it looks! It’s a great summer dessert– frozen & cold, not too rich, and a good way to use up strawberries! When we saw it, we assumed it was just strawberry ice cream or frozen yogurt, but it’s not. Consequently, I think it actually seems lighter than those other things would! Either way, it’s tasty and pretty too! Here’s the recipe:
Strawberry Delight Frozen Dessert (aka “Strawberry Yum Yum”)
- 1/2 C butter (melted)
- 1 C flour
- 1/4 brown sugar
- 1/2 C chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans work great)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 C sugar
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 C strawberries, sliced
- 1 pkg. Dream Whip (whipped) or Cool Whip
- Combine all crust ingredients and pat into the bottom of the pan. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Cool and break into crumbs. Divide crumbs and put half into the bottom of a 9×13 pan.
- While the crumb mixture bakes, combine egg whites, lemon juice, sugar, and strawberries in a mixing bowl. Beat mixture for 15- 20 minutes on medium speed. Fold whipped topping into mixture.
- Pour filling over crumbs in the pan, then sprinkle the remaining crumbs over top and freeze overnight.
Then, serve and enjoy! A great summer dessert!
Do YOU have any favorite church cookbook recipes?