Looking for a convenient weeknight meal that the whole family can enjoy? This cheeseburger tater tot casserole is soooooo easy to make and is a great comfort food recipe (especially during the cold winter months)! It was a bit hit with the kids at our house! Big Brother’s favorite food is cheeseburgers and Little Brother one loves tater tots, so this was a great dish! Mr. Mom Endeavors was quite thrilled with it too! The whole meal came together really quickly! And, it would also make a great freezer meal! This would be a freezer meal perfect for taking to families after the birth of a baby, death in the family, etc. Since the tater tots are frozen anyway, you could prep everything for the casserole (minus the pickle & tomato) and freeze. Then, all you need to do is just bake and top with the fresh ingredients! It doesn’t get easier than that! Here’s the recipe:
- 2 pounds lean ground beef we used 93%
- 1/4 Cup sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 TBSP yellow mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 32 oz bag Ore-Ida® Tater Tots®
- 1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
- diced tomatoes
- diced pickles
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a pan on the stove, brown ground beef and onions with worcestershire sauce. Once cooked through, add tomato sauce, mustard and garlic powder. Stir until combined.
- Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray and pour the meat mixture into the pan. Spread into an even layer.
- Lightly sprinkle with meat mixture with some of the cheese.
- Top with Tater Tots®, spread into an even layer.
- Top with the remaining cheese (add a little more if you like it cheesy).
- Bake at 400 for about 25 minutes (or until cheese is melted & tots become golden brown).
- Remove from oven and top casserole with chopped tomatoes and pickles
Yummy! It’s definitely a fun twist on a classic comfort food meal – perfect for potlucks or just an easy weeknight meal. And, if you don’t like tater tots, you could always try the casserole with french fries instead (though we liked it better with the tots)!
For more comfort food casseroles, you might like these: