Celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Disney’s The Little Mermaid with these adorably tasty mermaid tail krispie treats – perfect for a Little Mermaid family movie night!
The Little Mermaid 30th Anniversary
“In honor of its 30th anniversary, two-time Academy Award®-winner (Best Original Score and Best Original Song “Under the Sea,” 1989) “The Little Mermaid,” dives into the highly celebrated Walt Disney Signature Collection with all-new bonus features and a sing-along mode. The magical, musical tale of mermaid princess Ariel — along with loveable sidekicks Sebastian and Flounder, and the love-to-hate sea witch Ursula — is shore to make a splash with all generations when it comes home for the first time on 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray™ on Feb. 26.”
Can you even believe this movie is 30 years old? I cannot! It is one of my very favorite Disney films – pretty sure I have every word of the soundtrack memorized. So, it was a huge pleasure to get to draw with Ariel-animator Mark Henn in L.A. as part of the #RalphBreakstheInternetEvent. We even got our own drawing of Ariel from the legend himself. So, you can readmore about that Mark Henn animator experience here and see my old Disney drawings from when I was a kid. Speaking of my kids days… I had the original soundtrack on cassette tape back in the day. Also, I auditioned for the role on Yenta in my high school’s production of Fiddler on the Roof with Ursula’s infamous song, “Poor Unfortunate Souls” (and I got the part! 😉 ). So, I’m super excited that Disney sent us a review copy of The Little Mermaid Anniversary edition. If you’ve been a blog reader for a while, you also may know that I LOVE having fun movie nights and making themed movie treats! It shouldn’t be any surprise then that I couldn’t resist making something cute for my beloved Little Mermaid. So, how about some fun mermaid tail krispie treats?! Aren’t they cute?! And they weren’t tough to make at all! You can whip up a batch in less than 30 minutes – perfect for a fun family movie night!
Mermaid Tail Treat Supplies:
- 1/4 C butter
- 4 C mini marshmallows
- 6 C puffed rice cereal
- green & blue candy melts
- sanding sugar (I used a mix of purple, green, blue, and white)
- Mermaid tail cookie cutter and paper template
Making Mermaid Tail Krispie Treats:
Making these little treats are super easy! You’ll start by making a normal batch of krispie treats with 1/4 C butter, 4 C mini marshmallows, and 6 C puffed rice cereal. Spread them into a pan to cool. Once the mixture has started to cool (but isn’t fully set), use a mermaid tail cookie cutter (or make your own template like I did) to cut the tails out of the pan. I made 6 for our movie night and still had plenty of krispie treats left in the pan. So you can get a good number of tails (probably about 10) out of 1 batch. Once you have the tails cut, you’ll need to melt some candy melts. To get the color right, I melted a mix of green and blue candy melts. Melt according to package directions. Spread the melted candy coating over the tails. Immediately after, sprinkle the green, blue, & purple sprinkle mixture over the body of the tail. If you’d like the tail fins to look just slightly different, you can use just white sanding sugar on that part (since it’s a little more translucent naturally). Let the candy melts set and that’s it! Aren’t they fun? So, whip up a batch of mermaid tail treats and get your own copy of The Little Mermaid Walt Disney Signature Collection – TODAY! (on Digital February 12, 2019 and on Blu-Ray/DVD February 26, 2019). There are some GREAT bonus features on the Blu-ray that your family is sure to love. Plus, there is Sing-Along Mode (which I may have had on while making the treats 😉 ).
ALL-NEW BONUS FEATURES (may vary by retailer) – BLU-RAY & DIGITAL:
- Sing-Along Mode – Sing along to the movie in this sing-along version of the film.
- Alan Menken & the Leading Ladies Song – From the voice of a mermaid to the tunes of a muse, the music of Alan Menken has scored the soundtrack for some of Disney’s most iconic leading ladies. Join Alan, Jodi Benson (Ariel), Paige O’Hara (Belle), Judy Kuhn (Pocahontas Singing Voice), Lillias White (Calliope) and Donna Murphy (Mother Gothel) as we celebrate the music of their films in honor of the one that started it all … “The Little Mermaid.” In this discussion, the ladies will share their memories of musically creating their characters with Alan, discuss what it means to be part of the Disney Princess/leading lady legacy and create new memories as they sing with Alan around a baby grand piano.
- “What I Want From You…Is YOUR VOICE” – Enter the recording studio and get an inside look at the cast of “The Little Mermaid” in their original recording sessions.
- Stories From Walt’s Office – Gadgets & Gizmos – Like Ariel, Walt Disney was a collector of many different things from miniatures to early mechanical characters that inspired the invention of audio- animatronics. We take a look at some the collections that Walt kept in his office in the third episode of this series.
- #TreasuresUntold – Join Ruby Rose Turner and Olivia Sanabia from the Disney Channel Original Series “Coop and Cami Ask the World” as they take a deep dive to explore some hidden treasures and fun facts about Disney’s “The Little Mermaid.”
- DCapella “Part of Your World” Music Video
- Classic Bonus Features – revisit four exciting bonus features from previous releases including:
- Deleted Character: Harold The Merman
- Under The Scene: The Art Of Live Action Reference
- Howard’s Lecture
- Audio Commentary With Ron Clements, John Musker and Alan Menken
- “Part of Your World” – A 30-Year Retrospective – Songwriter Alan Menken and Jodi Benson, the acting and singing voice of Ariel, sing the epitome of Disney “I Want” songs “Part of Your World” and discuss its impact since it was first heard 30 years ago.
- Classic Bonus Features – Over 3 additional hours of previously released classic bonus features including Deleted Scenes, Easter Eggs, Music Videos and more!
Aren’t those fun? And for even MORE The Little Mermaid fun, be sure to check out these posts:
Like it? Pin it!