This tasty side dish is a lighter version of your classic broccoli cranberry salad recipe– perfect for summer BBQs, picnics, and pot lucks!
Broccoli cranberry salad is SO good! It’s one of my favorite side salads, but it’s normally slathered in quite a bit of mayo. And sometimes it’s even a little too sweet with extra sugar. So, I decided to make a few tweaks and healthier swaps to make the salad a bit lighter and healthier! But the taste is still SUPER good! I love recipes like this because they are full of flavor yet still a pretty good, healthy choice. Really, it’s great any time of year. But, I think it’s especially perfect for summer – picnics, backyard parties, BBQs, church potlucks, etc. It’s a great side dish! And, it’s SUPER easy to make. Chopping up the broccoli is the hardest part, so you really can make this up in no time (though, I do think the flavor is better if you make it the night before or at least a few hours before serving)! Here’s the easy recipe:
- 1 medium-large head of broccoli, chopped into bite-sized florets
- ¼ -1/2 medium red onion, diced
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup sunflower kernels
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayo
- ½ TBSP sugar
- 2 TBSP red wine vinegar
- In a large mixing bowl combine broccoli, red onion, dried cranberries, crumbled bacon, and sunflower kernels.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, mayo, sugar, and vinegar.
- Pour the dressing to the salad and stir to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve (flavors come together better if you make at least a few hours in advance).
Yum! This is super tasty! Now, how about some other tasty recipes perfect for a picnic or backyard get-together? Whether you’re looking for a few more great side dish ideas or even a dessert, you’ll find some super delicious picnic favorits recipes from my fellow #CreativeFoodies! Be sure to pin this for later and then hop around to check out all the tasty eats!
10 Perfect Picnic Recipes
- Lighter Broccoli Salad by Mom Endeavors
- Caprese Pasta Salad by See Vanessa Craft
- Strawberry Mason Jar Cake by A Night Owl Blog
- Brussel Sprout And Orzo Picnic Salad by Spaceships & Laserbeams
- Cheese And Sausage Kolache by Ashlee Marie
- Antipasto Skewers by Two Twenty One
- Cheesecake In A Jar by Happiness is Homemade
- Orange Fruit Dip by Play Party Plan
- Apple Pecan Coleslaw by Strawberry Mommycakes
- Italian Sandwiches by The Idea Room
Yum! They look SO good! Which of these tasty picnic ideas would you like to try first?
Be sure to follow the #CreativeFoodies tag for great themed recipes each month! Last month, we shared some awesome Mexican food recipes!Pin It