Little Brother wanted to make a fun treat the other day and there is hardly anything easier to make (especially for little helpers in the kitchen) than a fun Chex mix! With the popularity of the “Christmas Crack” & then our patriotic red, white, & blue Chex mix, I decided that we should try a fun Halloween inspired version! It’s the sweet & salty goodness of the other versions, but with some fun candy corn & Halloween colors!
Sweet & Salty Candy Corn Chex Mix
- 6 cups Rice Chex
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 1 cup mixed nuts (chopped)
- 1 bag (approx 12 ounces) candy corn
- 1/2 lb. vanilla almond/candy bark (or white chocolate)
- 1/4 package of orange candy melts
- 1/4 package of yellow candy melts
2. Melt the vanilla almond bark. I personally think this sets up a little better than true “white chocolate”, but I’m sure white chocolate would be fine. I always just use the microwave, but you can get a smoother melt by going with the fancier double boiler method! Do whatever you have time for!
3. Pour melted “white chocolate” over the dry ingredients in the bowl and gently combine (you don’t want to break all the cereal). Everything should be coated–how well coated is totally up to your discretion. I’m not a fan of being too sweet, so I tend to use a little less. If it’s not coated to your liking, then just melt some more and add it in. 4. Pour mixture on to a large cookie sheet(s) lined with wax paper. While it’s drying, repeat step 2 with the colored candy melts. Then drizzle the colored melts over the top.
5. Once it’s all dry, then you can just mix it back together in a large bowl! I opted for something black and a little “Halloween-ish” for this one! The combination of the salty from the peanuts & mixed nuts is great with the candy corn and sweet coating. If you’d like it a little more salty, adding in pretzels to this mix is always good. I was just opting to keep it gluten free. And, I think it’s still super good just as is this way!