This delicious sweet potato side dish recipe post is sponsored by Family Dollar.
The holidays are right around the corner, which often means big family meals and celebrations. Though the turkey gets a lot of Thanksgiving attention, you can’t forget about the side dishes! One of those famous, popular sides at Thanksgiving and Christmas is often yams/sweet potatoes. My grandpas both LOVED any sort of candied yams or sweet potato casserole dish. It was always a staple at those holiday meals. Over the years, my mom and grandmas made many different versions, but this candied sweet potato casserole recipe is a BIG favorite!!
YUM! With just a few ingredients, you can whip up this tasty casserole! To save money on buying those ingredients, make sure you check out the Weekly Deals at Family Dollar! You can even use Smart Coupons to save even more. Then, once you have the ingredients, it really doesn’t take long at all to make this! The sweet & crunchy crumble topping is EVERYTHING! It really finishes this dish off. In fact, I don’t think it even needs any marshmallows. But the kids and grandpas just HAVE to have their marshmallows! 😉 So, with this version, we don’t cover the whole dish with them – instead we just do a little marshmallow scatter. No matter how you do the topping though, you really can’t go wrong! You start making the casserole by mashing up some canned yams – EASY! Once you mix up the potato mixture, then you cover it with a sweet, crunchy crumb topping. It is SO good. Here’s the easy recipe (which is large enough to feed a holiday crowd):
Candied Sweet Potato Casserole Side Dish Recipe
- 2 29 oz cans yams makes approx 6 C mashed
- 4 eggs
- 1 C sugar
- 1/2 C butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 C flour
- 1/2 C butter room temp
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1-2 C chopped pecans
- mini marshmallows *optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the casserole mixture ingredients. Mash and mix well to desired consistency. Pour contents into baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the topping ingredients (save out marshmallows). Mix together until it resembles coarse crumbs. Layer over top of the potato mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- If desired, top with marshmallows and return it to the oven on broil. Watch VERY carefully (only about 1 minute) and remove immediately as marshmallows start to brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Super tasty! Hope you enjoy for your family festivities! Remember, be sure to check out Family Dollar’s Weekly Deals and use Smart Coupons to save on your holiday meals!
What are YOUR favorite holiday side dishes?
Um, this might be one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen. potato always my favorite.