Oh my goodness! It is SUCH a big day around here– a BIG first that has this mama full of all kinds of emotions! It’s Big Brother’s first day of Kindergarten!! So bittersweet! And, just like so many other milestones, it means that our lives will never be the same. His baby and toddlerhood are no more as we now enter the realm of “school-age”. Gah! Cliche’ as it may be to say it, it went by so fast. TOO fast! And, with that thought, I’m crying again…so let’s just move on to the fun back to school gift shall we?! 😉
I LOVE how this came together! A good theme makes things so much more fun. So, I loved finding out that all the Kindergarten classes at his school have animal themes. His teacher’s name is “Mrs. B”, so needless to say, they are the Bee Class! At “Meet the Teacher Night”, we discovered all kinds of bees throughout the room!
It was a no-brainer then that we’d make her something bee-themed for a gift. I just had to decide what. Then, a random find at a thrift store of a little wooden “holder” determined it! What teacher can’t use another place to hold extra pencils (or various other writing utensils)? So, we got to work!
- a canister/holder of some kind (wooden, tin can, plastic, etc.)
- black chalkboard paint
- Mod Podge
- embellishments (I used scrapbooking paper)
- scissors & paintbrush
- pencils (or other items to put inside)
- “Bee” gift label
– Start by painting your container with chalkboard paint (according to the paint directions). This was something that Big Brother helped with and was quite excited to do so!
– Once dry, embellish the container. Originally I had planned on using stickers, but I couldn’t find any with bees. So, I used some scrapbooking paper instead. Just like with the travel clipboards, I just mod podged the paper onto the container. The cut out bees added so much! 🙂
– Follow the paint directions to use as a chalkboard (I let mine set for about 24 hours and then rubbed chalk over the surface). Then, write your messages & add sharpened pencils (or other writing utensils).
– To top it off, add a cute little gift tag & attach to the pencils!! I came up with two options to fit the “Bee” theme! (Just click the picture to download the printable file)
Big Brother carried it in to class with him this morning! He was so proud of what we made and was a nice way for him to interact with the teacher right off the bat! She gave him such a nice reaction! Then, we said our goodbyes. The quote on the door (for parents, of course) said, “say quick goodbyes & leave with dry eyes”. Now, I can’t wait to pick him up and hear all about his first day! 🙂
Linked to: *SNAP Show & Tell, *I’m Lovin’ It, *Sundae Scoop, *Rook No. 17
He is super handsome. I hope his first day was awesome and you did OK. I cried with you. LOL I am a NaNa who watches my grandson (4) every weekday some weekends too and can feel it….. Very cute gift. Love it thanks for sharing.
that turned out so cute! I’m sure his teacher will love it!
Oh my goodness! This is just too cute! I love it! What a great idea to have a first day of school gift!
What a great idea! As a teacher, I would love to receive this!
How cute is that! My youngest heads to kindergarten in Sept, it has gone by too fast. I’m going to miss her but am looking forward to finally being able to focus 100% on my blog!
Sara, this is super adorable! And your little boy looks happy to ‘bee’ at school…he’s so cute!
It doesn’t get any easier. I cried after dropping off my babies on their first day and THEY’RE IN 5TH & 6TH GRADES! lol
He looks happy and ready. He has a lucky teacher to have such a cool Mom in her class. too! Enjoy this year. He is just precious. Love the teacher gift. hugs….
This is adorable!
What an awesome gift idea!
So cute! Makes me wish I was going back to school myself.
Seriously way too stinking cute!! Love it!
This is adorable! My oldest son is starting preschool this year, and this would be a really cute idea for his teacher.
Lucky, lucky teacher!
Oh that came out so cute, what a great idea! I would love for you to share this on our made for or by kids linky http://wemadethat.blogspot.com/2012/08/we-made-that-linky-1.html
This is so adorable! I wish my daughter was little again so I could make some of these great teachers gifts. I would love for you to share this at the Krafty Inspiration Thursday Link Party over at Krafty Cards etc.
Thanks for the inspiration!