With back-to-school time upon us, you may find yourself needing a teacher gift (whether that be for the first day, a holiday, special thank-you, or end of the school year). And, this simple Apple-themed mason jar is a great option. It’s a quick and simple diy project that makes a sweet & versatile gift. You can used it to hold school/office supplies like rulers and pencils or as a handy holder for candy. It would even be cute in the kitchen this fall – just drop a votive tea light or even an apple scented candle inside! So cute!
Here’s what you’ll need to make your own…
- pint or quart-sized mason jar
- red spray paint (acrylic paint or chalk paint would also work, though would take more time)
- clear finishing spray (optional)
- 1⁄2” green ribbon
- 1” twig
- hot glue gun/glue
- Wipe your jar down with alcohol and a paper towel to remove dirt and oils.
- Set your jar on newspaper, outside or in a well-ventilated space.
- Spray a light coat of red paint. Allow to dry for about 10 minutes, then spray additional coats until you’re happy with the color! Let dry.
- To make your paint more permanent and scratch proof, add 2-3 coats of clear spray paint to protect the finish.
- Wrap ribbon around threading portion of jar and secure at that back with hot glue.
- Cut a 3 “ length of green ribbon,fold into a loop and glue on the side of your jar (for the leaf). Then attach your small twig to the side with hot glue as well.
That’s it! Super easy! You could very easily make quite a few at once to give out as gifts to a bunch of teachers! Perfect for the school year! What are your favorite uses for mason jars?