Aside from just getting used to Big Brother being gone all day (he’s a 1st grader this year), my biggest source of “back-to-school mom stress” this year was planning for & packing his lunches. My goals for his lunches are moderately healthy (ie. something he would actually eat), sometimes fun/creative, relatively quick & easy to make, and not the same ‘ole pb&j or sandwich day after day. We’re only two weeks in, but so far so good! Between what I’ve already made and the others “on my list”, I’ve got at least a whole month of kid-approved lunches!!So, for the past two weeks, here’s a list of Big Brother’s lunches (there’s only 9 because he tried the hot school lunch one day) in the order of the pictures above:
- Mini ham & cheese sub sandwich served with sweet potato Pop Chips, carrots & baby dill pickles, and no sugar added natural apple sauce.
- Ham & cheese tortilla roll-up (deli ham & cream cheese rolled up on a whole wheat tortilla), with black olives, grape tomatoes, Fig Newtons, and some Cheetos.
- “Nacho Bar” – corn chips, plain greek yogurt (or you could use sour cream), black olives, grape tomatoes, and cubed cheddar cheese.
- “Breakfast for lunch” – bagel & cream cheese, with a cup of nuts & yogurt raisins, and some yogurt.
- Dino-mite lunch (click the link for full details)
- “Homemade lunchable” – sliced cheddar, ham cut in squares, Wheat Thins, grape tomatoes, no sugar added natural apple sauce, and a Fig Newton
- PB&J bites (make a sandwich and use small cookie cutters to cut out fun shapes) with baby dill pickles, tomatoes, black olives, cheetos, and a Fig Newton.
- Star Wars themed lunch (his first day of school request). Full details & free printable lunch notes in this post —> Star Wars lunch
- Turbo Snail themed lunch (click the link for full details).
So, you can see those are all in-line with my goals! So far, so good! 🙂 But, I can see where it can definitely be hard coming up with new ideas day after day. And, that’s where all my other creative blogging friends come in! So, here are some other great lunch ideas from around the blogosphere that would be fun to try!
- Sandwich Kabobs
- Disney Frozen Olaf Themed Lunch
- School grade bento
- Back to School Themed Bento
- ABC lunch
- Chemistry experiment lunch
- Kids Bear Bento
- Lunch with a personality!
- Star sandwiches
- Lego lunch
- Despicable Me Minion Lunch
- Out of This World Lunch
- Homemade Uncrustables
- Piggy Cupcakes
- Waffle Sandwich Bites
- Banana burritos
- PB&J Sushi bites
- Submarine Lunch
- Ninja Turtles Lunch Idea
Right there, you’ve got about 5 weeks of unique lunch ideas with a good variety! Fun! We’re still experimenting with what works for us at school and different ideas, but I’ll be sure to do another list of ideas sometime soon! In the meantime, if you’d like to spruce up lunch with some fun printables, you can check out these different options:
- Star Wars Lunch box notes
- Back to School Themed Water Bottle Labels
- Lunch box notes from Skip to My Lou
- Lunch box notes from The Country Chic Cottage
Also, below is a list of some my favorite lunch-making supplies and the lamintor I use for the lunch box notes (might as well laminate to reuse them!). The containers I use for a lot of his lunches (including the one shown above) are the Easy Lunchboxes. They are my absolute favorite. We’ve had the one set for two years and they are still holding up well!! You can purchase on Amazon below via my affiliate link:
- Easy Lunchboxes
- Silicone Baking Cups
- Letters, numbers, & shapes cookie cutters
- Gourmet Writers – Food Safe Markers
- Star Wars Cutters
What are YOUR favorite school lunch ideas?
If you liked this post, you might enjoy: