Chocolate and peanut butter has to be one of my very favorite flavor combinations. SOOooo good! So, when we were in Nebraska visiting family this past fall and there was a pan of these tasty chocolate peanut butter oatmeal bars made for our arrival (thanks to my mother-in-law), we couldn’t resist diving into the pan! She has so many old, small-town cookbooks and recipe cards. You know, the really good, frequently used ones that have hand-written notes, have yellowed over time, etc. And this one was a winner! I mean, don’t they just look divine?!
Super yum! And, they are really easy to make!!! Here’s the easy recipe!
- ½ C butter
- ½ C brown sugar
- ⅓ C peanut butter
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ C sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 C flour
- 1 C oatmeal
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 C chocolate chips
- ½ C powdered sugar
- 2-4 Tbsp milk
- ½ C peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix sugars, egg, and butters.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, vanilla, and oatmeal.
- Spread mixture into a 9x13 pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- While that bakes, prepare the frosting (mix together the powdered sugar, milk, and peanut butter).
- Remove pan from oven and while hot, sprinkle with chocolate chips. When melted, swirl with the frosting.
Gotta love bar recipes as an easy alternative to cookies! So, whip up a batch of these, pour a big glass of milk, and enjoy! These were a hit with all our friends and family. The kids definitely loved them as well!