I had another post planned for today, but I got so many questions and recipe requests after I posted a picture of these stuffed peppers that I just couldn’t wait. Admittedly, before the changes we’ve been making this year to get healthier, stuffed peppers are not something I would have made. But, I’ve been seeing so many different ideas out there that I wanted to give them a try! And oh my goodness, they were so good…and super healthy too!!
YUM!!! I wish I could say that these are super quick to make. Sadly though, they do take a bit of time to do. But, really, they are so worth it. In fact, I wish I would have made a double batch! And, while the kids weren’t adventurous enough to eat the pepper, they ate all the filling! Since this is packed full of good healthy stuff, we’re definitely calling that a kid-approved win! 😉
Turkey & Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 3 large yellow peppers
- 1.25lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1 C diced mushrooms
- 1/4 C diced sweet onion
- 1 C chopped fresh spinach
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 C (1 8oz can) tomato sauce
- 1 C chicken broth
- 1 C dry quinoa
- *optional – cheese of choice. I used pepper jack on half and an Italian cheese blend on the ones for the kids.
- In a small saucepan, start the quinoa and cook according to package directions (usually about 15 minutes).
- While the quinoa cooks, saute the vegetables in a pan with a little butter or olive oil.
- Then after about 5 minutes or so, add the ground turkey and garlic to the vegetables. Cook over medium heat. Once the turkey is mostly cooked though, add in the tomato sauce and about half of the chicken broth. Let simmer until the turkey is fully cooked and some of the excess liquid has cooked off.
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- While the turkey mixture simmers, prep your bell peppers. Wash the peppers, cut them in half, and remove the stem & seeds. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray and place the cut bell peppers in the pan (open side up).
- Once the quinoa is done cooking, dump it into the pan with the turkey & vegetables. Stir together. Then, stuff each bell pepper with the mixture. Make sure they are nice & full! If you’re opting for cheese, then top with just enough cheese to barely cover the mixture (if you put too much on, it will get super messy in the oven!). Pour the rest of the chicken broth into the base of the pan (so around the peppers, not over them).
- Cover with foil and bake at 400 for about 30-35 minutes. Serve warm & eat up!
They are sooooo good!
Have you tried stuffed peppers? What’s your favorite way to do them?