Are there special recipes in your family that are seriously THE BEST ever?! Those passed down from one generation to the next; one with a “secret” ingredient; or one that the whole family can’t wait to have at special occasions or certain times of the year? There are a few in our family. One is my mom’s garlic bread (so easy and soooo good) and the other is Great-Grandma’s Potato Salad! It is THE BEST! The picture for sure does not do it justice!
I don’t know the history behind it or anything like that. I just know it was a staple at Easter every year and some summer events too. I remember my great-grandma (who chose to be called “big grandma” even though she was about 5’2″ and 100 pounds! 😉 ) and my grandma making it growing it up. For the last many years, my mom has taken the reigns. It’s the best potato salad I’ve ever had. YUM! This recipe makes a big ‘ole vat because that’s how we roll! No point in going to all that work if there aren’t leftovers for the family. Or, it is PERFECT to bring for a pot luck or summer BBQ party!!
Big Grandma’s Potato Salad Recipe
- 12-14 med/large russet potatoes -about 5 pounds (Yukon Gold are really good!)
- 12-14 large hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 – 1 med. sweet yellow onion, diced (depending how much onion you like. I only use about 1/2)
- 1 bunch of celery chopped (about 2-3 cups)
- 1.5C – 3C mayonnaise (est. depends on size and # of potatoes)
- 1/2 – 1 cup sour cream
- 1 T (or more) yellow mustard to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Use little red potatoes, DO NOT peel, just boil and quarter
- Same amount of eggs, but when chopping, leave out about 1/2 the yolks
- Use light or olive oil mayo
- Replace sour cream with light sour cream -OR- swap with plain Greek yogurt!
For flavor variations add:
- 1/2-1cup chopped parsley
- fresh dill, chopped finely to taste
- crispy crumbled bacon
- chopped green onions, tops and all
- crumbled bleu cheese
- Great-Grandma’s “Secret-Ingredient” Potato Salad
- Blueberry Pie Bars
- Watermelon Green Tea
- Independence Day Cranberry Pop Rocks Mocktail
- Fruit Pizza
- Zucchini Recipes
- Grilled Pizza
- Fruit Yogurt Parfaits
- Root Beer Float Popsicles
- Watermelon Smoothie
- Refreshing Summer Noodle Salad
- Coke Float Popsicles
- Peach Cobbler Cupcakes
- Lemon Picnic Pasta
- Frozen Chocolate Bananas
- BBQ Chicken Pizza
- How to cut a watermelon
- And, even more Favorite Summer Recipes
What are YOUR favorite summer recipes?
love a good potato salad! perfect for summer BBQs
I have never made potato salad before. This recipe seems fun and I love your tips.
This looks delish!!
Yum! I’m looking forward to trying this for some planned potlucks in July!
I’m excited to give this recipe a try…and thanks for the “secret” tip for the best potato salad!
This looks delicious! My grandmother always makes potato salad for gatherings but she won’t share the recipe. Lol 🙂
This is some good stuff. Definitely my go to recipe for potato salad. I like to add olives to mine.
I love potato salad! Great recipe and great tip on the # of eggs per potato! And super thank you for adding my zucchini recipes link! 🙂
Great recipe. I leave out the celery but add celery salt. I also dice up dill pickle for a bit of a crunch and add bit of pickle juice….yummo.