Aren’t these little sunshine cake pops cute?! I happen to love them! I think they’re perfect for brightening someone’s day! And they work for SO many occasions! These cute pops would be ADORABLE as part of a “You are My Sunshine” Baby Shower or 1st Birthday theme! Or, a little bouquet of them would work so well as a little “get well” wish or for someone going through a hard time. The sunshine cake pops could also work for a springtime or summer fun themed party… or even for a fun preschool/kindergarten weather themed unit! See?! SO many ideas for these!
Here’s the directions/recipe for making these sunny pops…
- 1 Cake mix (*box or homemade – yellow or lemon cake recommended)
- 1 cup vanilla (or lemon) frosting
- Yellow gel food coloring
- Yellow candy melts
- Lollipop sticks
- Yellow candies (like M&M’s, Skittles, etc)
- Yellow sugar sprinkles
1. Prepare your cake as directed on box/recipe. To make it more yellow, add a few drops of yellow food coloring
2. Scoop out your cake into a bowl while still warm (leave sides) and set in the freezer for about 30 minutes to cool
3. Mix your cup of frosting with a couple drops of yellow food coloring
4. Mix your frosting in with your cake
5. Roll your cake into ping pong sized balls with the palms of your hands 6. Place the cake balls in the freezer for 60 minutes
7. Melt your candy melts in the microwave according to package directions, stirring in intervals until melted
8. Dip the end of your lollipop stick into the melted chocolate and into the bottom of a cake ball and let harden for a few minutes
9. Holding your lollipop stick, dip your cake pop into the melted chocolate and twist until covered
10. Stick about eight yellow candies around the sides of the cake pop to resemble a sun
11. Sprinkle a few sugar sprinkles into the center of your sun 12. Place the bottom of your lollipop sticks into a piece of Styrofoam or cake stand to let your cake pops harden. You’ll repeat the process for as many pops as you’d like to make! That’s it!
It’s a little time consuming (depending on how many you’re making), but super easy! And they turn out SO cute! They’d even be adorable to give for Mother’s Day or a teacher appreciation gift with a cute saying!
What would YOU make sunshine cake pops for?