We love family movie nights. So, we are thrilled to partner with Universal Pictures Home Entertainment to celebrate the Blu-ray and DVD release of SING with some Buster Moon Koala Krispy Treats and special movie night fun!
We saw SING in theaters, so the kids were thrilled to find out that it is now available to own on Blu-ray and DVD! The movie was heartwarming and funny with great music and a fantastic cast! In fact, SING was the Golden Globe nominee for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song, It features more than 65 hit songs including ‘Faith,’ a brand new song by the legendary Stevie Wonder (featuring Ariana Grande), marking his first song for a major film release in 25 years! We LOVE the music in this movie!!
For those not already familiar, here’s a brief synopsis:
From Illumination, the studio that brought you The Secret Life of Pets and the Despicable Me franchise, comes an animated comedy about finding the music that lives inside all of us. SING stars Academy Award® winner Matthew McConaughey as Buster Moon, an eternally optimistic koala who puts on the world’s greatest singing competition to save his crumbling theater; Academy Award® winner Reese Witherspoon as Rosita, an overworked and unappreciated mother of 25 piglets desperate to unleash her inner diva; Scarlett Johansson as Ash, a punk rock porcupine with a beautiful voice behind her prickly exterior; Taron Egerton as Johnny, a young gangster gorilla looking to break free of his family’s felonies; as well as Seth MacFarlane, John C. Reilly, and Grammy Award-nominated Tori Kelly. SING is the musical comedy event of the year!
Buster Moon is the main character and happens to be a koala. With a brother/uncle that lives in Australia, we’re quite fond of koalas. So, I decided to make the boys some Buster Moon koala krispy treats to go with our movie-watching fun! And the boys were THRILLED! FUN! I love the way these cute koalas turned out! Making fun themed foods is one of my very favorite things to do for parties, holidays, movie nights, etc. So, I loved making these. And, they really weren’t too hard to make at all! Here are the directions…
- Krispy treats (a homemade batch or store-bought)
- Circle cookie cutters (2 different sizes – I used a 3″ and 2.5″)
- Black candy melts
- White candy melts
- Dark chocolate covered caramels (or similar, large, oblong dark chocolate candy)
- Small candy eyes
- Shredded coconut
- Black frosting (gel or regular) or black food-writer marker
- *Optional – Paper straw or lollipop sticks
Directions (for each treat):
- Start by cutting your krispy treats using the different circle cutters. Use the larger one for Buster’s face and two of the smaller ones for ears. Use the large cutter to cut a small crescent shape out of each ear (to make it easier to attach to the face).
- Then, make the gray coating for the treats. Combine black and white candy melts (using more white than black) to get the desired gray color. Melt according to package directions.
- Dip the “face” and the two “ears” in the melted candy coating. Make sure they are coated well enough that the cereal doesn’t show through. Stick the ears to the side of the face (push hard enough that they really stick together). Then, before the candy coating hardens, add on the dark chocolate nose, the candy eyes, and the coconut for the inside of the koala ears.
- Place in the refrigerator to harden to candy coating (*Note: If you want them to be krispy treat pops, slide a paper straw or lollipop stick into the treats before placing in the fridge).
- Then, draw on the eyebrows and mouth with the black frosting writer or an edible food marker.
- Repeat steps for each koala treat.
All that’s left to do is to add your koala treats to a little movie night party set up and ENJOY! We just put together a fun little “concessions stand”, complete with star decor, popcorn, licorice, fun straws for drinks, and our Buster Moon koala treats! The boys couldn’t wait to dive in with their treats and enjoy some fun (& tasty) family movie time!
So, pick up a copy of SING Special Edition on Blu-ray in stores for your next family movie night! It’s so good! In addition to the movie, there are over 60-minutes of bonus content and three all-new entertaining mini movies featuring the cast from SING as well as an exclusive Tori Kelly music video and a variety of musical extras. In the meantime, watch the trailer below! Your family is sure to love it!
Disclosure: This post is part of a sponsored campaign with Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. All opinions & movie night ideas are my entirely own.