As a Lowe’s Creative Ideas Blogger, this month challenge was all about spring! Our mantel area definitely needed a refresh with spring decor and the mirror needed a wreath! So, I decided to make a simple spring wreath with a few easy supplies from Lowe’s (plus a few craft supplies) to match some of our other spring decor! I love the simplicity of it! And, it was SO easy to make! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Painters Drop Cloth (you won’t need that much)
- 1 6-ft. tube of pipe insulation (less than $1.50 at my Lowe’s!!)
- X-ACTO knife and/or scissors
- duct tape
- 1 straight pin
- flowers of your choice (see more below)
– Start by making your wreath form.Cut the pipe insulation in half.
– Connect the ends with duct tape to make the wreath shape.
– Tear the drop cloth into strips. I made my strips approximately 4 inches wide and used about 2 6′ long strips.
– Just wrap the strips around the wreath from. Try to smooth out any bunching (or make sure that part is in the back and try to wrap evenly so you have fairly even spacing between the frayed ends that show.
– Once you get all the way around the wreath back to where you started, fold the strip on itself (so you don’t see the frayed edges), cut and pin down with a straight pin. This section will be covered up with the hanging ribbon.
For the decoration on the wreath, you could use anything you want- just eggs or eggs in a nest, silk flowers, paper flowers, or you could get really fancy with a jigsaw or wood working tool and DIY some wooden flowers. I happened to have some thin wooden flowers in my craft stash, so I used those. For the flowers, I covered them with some scrapbooking paper that matches another piece of decor on the mantel. I used Mod Podge to adhere the paper to the flowers. Once that was dry, I used an X-ACTO knife to cut out the excess paper (to show the petal shape). Then, I just hot-glued on the wood circle to the middle of each flower. For ease of attaching it to the wreath, I glued the flowers together first. Then, glued the flower piece to the wreath. The whole process didn’t take long at all. And since I’m using the drop cloth for a few projects, it didn’t cost much at all either. It’s just the right about of “shabby chic” for me! 😉 I think it really looks great with our whole spring mantel display. I like how the flowers on the wreath match our spring wooden blocks (more on those coming soon). It’s so cheery in our living room now. For an extra bit of spring around the house, we bought some white Alyssum at Lowe’s. I LOVE the simplicity of the little white flowers with all the green! I planted in some white urns we found on clearance at Lowe’s, along with some other flower pots/vases we have in the house. Now the trick is just keeping them alive! 😉 But, for now, I’m loving the flowers!
What kind of spring decor do you have like?
For even more ideas, visit Lowes Creative Ideas and follow along with Lowe’s on Pinterest or on Instagram! You can also sign up to receive their free Creative Ideas Magazine, which is full of all kinds of ideas & inspiration! There’s also a magazine app so you can have inspiration on the go!
Disclosure: I am a member of the Lowe’s Creative Ideas Creators & Influencers Network and receive a Lowe’s gift card to complete my projects. However, all ideas, opinions, & experiences are entirely my own.