Egg muffins are SUCH an awesome breakfast item to make ahead for busy mornings. They’re flourless, protein-packed, and already come in individual serving sizes! Plus, you can make a larger batch and freeze. Then, just pop them in the microwave for easy homemade breakfasts on those crazy mornings! The other wonderful thing about them is you can mix in just about any combination of meat, vegetables, etc. that you like! This version is packed full of vegetables and sausage – a hearty way to start the day! Here’s the recipe:
- 12 oz. Ground Sausage Meat
- ½ C onion, chopped
- ½ C red bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 C spinach leaves, packed into cup
- 1 t butter
- ½ t garlic, minced
- 12 eggs
- ¼ C milk
- 1 C Cheddar, shredded (optional)
- 1 Tomato, roma (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop vegetables, setting spinach aside.
- In a large pan, saute Onion, red pepper, garlic with butter for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add chopped spinach and sauté just until spinach wilts. Transfer veggie mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, brown the sausage until cooked thoroughly.
- Add veggies back to pan with the sausage and blend together, letting cook for just a few extra minutes.
- In the bowl, beat the 12 eggs with milk until combined. Gently stir in the cheese.
- Add meat mixture to the bowl of eggs and stir thoroughly.
- Spoon this mixture into a greased muffin pan.
- (optional) Slice tomato into 12 thin slices and place on top of everything in each cup.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes (until eggs puff up and toothpick inserted comes out clean).
Yummy! If you’d like to freeze them, just make sure to cool the baked muffins. Then freeze (individually on a cookie sheet works well. Then, transfer frozen muffins to a plastic freezer bag and keep in the freezer. Pop them in the microwave for 30-60 seconds when you’re ready to eat! A super convenient make-ahead breakfast!
Need more make-ahead breakfast ideas?! This post is a good one to check out:
Back to school time can get so crazy – especially in the mornings. So, prepping ahead with some of these ideas helps make the mornings go so much smoother! Plus, everyone can start the day with something more substantial than a quick bowl of cereal or meal bar on the go!
Have YOU tried egg muffins? What’s your favorite add-in?Pin It