Yum! This quinoa “fried rice” is one of my absolute favorite new recipes!! After our contributor Kari shared her easy homemade fried rice recipe here, I knew it was something I wanted to try. But, for the protein/health benefits, I’ve been on a quinoa kick. So, I decided to try throwing together a quinoa version. The results are SO good!!!! Mmmmmm! Now I’m craving it! 😉 You can use this as a side dish, add meat to it, or just eat it all on it’s own. And, by using Tamari instead of regular soy sauce, this dish is gluten free!!! If you have some quinoa already made (which I recommend), then this dish comes together super quickly! I like to make a big batch of quinoa at once and then use it for different recipes throughout the week. And as an added bonus, if your quinoa is already cooked, this is a one pot dish!
Here’s the recipe:
Quinoa & Vegetable "Fried Rice"
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1/2 medium sweet onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced (about 2 tsp)
- 1 t ginger paste or powder if you don't have the paste
- 3 T rice vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 3 T Tamari or soy sauce of choice
- 3 C cooked quinoa
- 2-3 C vegetables chopped (I used broccoli, carrots, and edamame)
- 1 8 oz can water chestnuts
- In a large pan or wok, heat coconut oil over medium high heat. Add chopped onion.
- While the onion starts cooking, chop the other vegetables (or use frozen veggies to keep it easy). You can use whatever veggies you like as long as you have at least 2-3 cups total (and you can always add more than that to make it more vegetable heavy).
- Add the vegetables, garlic, ginger, and rice vinegar to the pan.
- Let simmer, stirring occasionally for 2-5 minutes. Then, slide the vegetables to the side and cook the eggs on one side of the pan.
- Once the eggs are cooked through, stir them throughout the vegetables.
- Add cooked quinoa and Tamari. Stir in water chestnuts.
- Then, serve!
This is definitely a family favorite here! Hope you enjoy!