Pregnancy Update: 36 weeks (& an ER visit)

This post may contain affiliate links. Privacy policy.


Wow–36 weeks!! With less than 30 days to go before the “official due date”, it is definitely the final home stretch! Eek! Feeling excited to meet this little guy and yet SO not ready all at the same time! As you can see in the pictures, the belly is clearly still growing as this little guy does, but I’ve definitely NOT dropped yet.

Since the 32-week update, it’s been a rather eventful few weeks on the pregnancy front! First up, was the big trip to Disneyland Resort for the opening of Cars Land! My Dr. was completely fine with me going and it was a blast! But, at 34 weeks, there were certainly some aches and pains that developed. The second night was especially bad and I had to bow out a bit early–my poor feet & pelvis were killing me. I’ve been having some sciatica issues, so that was rather unpleasant. Throughout the trip, I had to take things a bit slower than normal and was really rockin’ the pregnancy waddle walk. But, I’m so glad we went!!

We had a nice few days to recover at home, then things got really eventful– and not in a fun, Disney kind of way! The boys came down with a stomach bug the end of last week, which they so graciously shared with me. After feeling nauseous for the better part of 15 hours (and hardly eating or drinking anything during that time frame), I actually got sick on the way to our last growth ultrasound on Monday afternoon!! Gross. I seemed to be feeling a bit better after that though and thought I was in the clear. After sleeping for a while, I finally tried drinking something starting at about 7:30pm. By 9:30 I had probably sipped a total of about 4-6 oz. of water & sprite. Well, apparently I wasn’t in the clear because about 9:45 I got sick again– really, really sick. Ugh! It was awful. Then, wouldn’t you know, I started feeling some pains just a little bit later. At first I didn’t really put it all together and just tried to sleep. But, by 11:00, I realized that these weren’t just random pains from getting sick. These were contractions. And, although they weren’t lasting a long time (only 15 – 40 seconds on average), they were happening very frequently. Like every 1 to 5 minutes!! Ugh! I knew that the doctor’s office was going to tell me to go to the hospital (which they did), so we called my mom to come over & stay with the boys and a bit after midnight headed in to the hospital. Oh joy!

From the emergency room (where the doc on call told me to go, even after questioning him), they immediately sent me up to labor & delivery. Once there (& answering a million questions), they hooked me up to the fetal heartrate monitor & the contraction monitor. Sure enough, it was picking up contractions every 2-5 minutes. The nurse was actually pretty surprised at how consistent they were. So, the in-house hospital OB came in to check me–if I was dilated to a 4, they’d consider it “active labor” and be keeping me. ACK! I expressed how badly I did NOT want to have a baby that night and REALLY wanted to stop the contractions. Thankfully, I was only a “2”! So, I ended up getting 2 liters of iv fluids for the dehydration, a shot of terbutaline to stop the contractions, and an iv dose of zofran to hopefully stop the nausea/vomiting. Good grief! Not a fun way to spend midnight to 4am! But, it all worked and I’m feeling MUCH better now!

What was fun though (even though I had just gotten sick), was seeing our little guy one more time at our final growth ultrasound. Thankfully, he’s finally moved from transverse to head-down (now we’re hoping he stays that way)! And, we were SO hoping for an awesome 3D shot of him (the techs have tried & tried at the last 3 scans). But, this guy was stubborn once again. He really likes having something in his face & Monday was no exception. This time, he had his little face buried in his elbow. We poked & prodded and tried to get him to move. But, no luck. So, we just got a little peek at one side of his face!

Everything still looked good! But, his growth has slowed some (from the estimated 80 percentile to about the 60th). Because of the two-vessel cord, this was cause for concern enough for my doctor. So, until baby makes his debut, I’m scheduled for 2 non-stress tests (NSTs) per week, along with my regular weekly OB check, and a weekly amniotic fluid levels check. I think I might have as many appointments in the next few weeks as the total number of appointments in both of my previous pregnancies! Crazy!

So, here’s where things stand now:

How far along? 36 weeks, 1 day
Total weight gain: 7 lbs. (which I’m sure will go back up–was down almost 5-6 pounds from my last appt. after the whole stomach bug thing/ER thing).
Mater­nity clothes? Def­i­nitely, yes! But, there actu­ally are still some non-maternity shirts & comfy pants I can wear just fine .
Stretch marks? A few new ones, but elas­tic skin is not some­thing the women in my fam­ily have been blessed with. :( From the pre­vi­ous two preg­nan­cies, my abdomen looks like it’s been clawed by a moun­tain lion!
Sleep: Mostly ok, but can’t switch sides without waking up.
Symptoms/Aches & Pains: Sciatica, pelvic/hip pain, and some mild swelling.
Move­ment: Lots still! It’s especially uncomfortable when he pokes me in the bladder!
Gen­der: Confirmed at the last ultrasound again–most definitely, still a BOY!
Labor Signs: 2 centimeters dilated, 50% effaced, contractions Monday from being sick.
Belly But­ton (in or out?): Out–it couldn’t hang on any longer! 🙂
Wed­ding Rings (on or off): Just took it off a few days ago. I could still move it, but didn’t want to risk it–especially after reading this pregnancy horror story!

Now, it’s just a waiting game. His big brothers both came past their due dates, but I’ve never had early contractions or been dilated to “2” at 36 weeks before. So, we’ll see. We still don’t have a name picked out & have many baby things to get prepped. So, we’re hoping for at least 2 more weeks before he makes his big debut! Either way, I’ll be keeping you posted! 🙂

Explore More


I’m Sara, a mom to three adorable boys living in the Arizona desert. As a former teacher, I love sharing my passions with others. So, have a look around for creative inspiration about cooking, creating, celebrating, traveling with kids, and more everyday mom endeavors!


Get freebies, new recipes, and fun ideas sent right to your inbox!

Looking for Something?


18 Responses

  1. Glad you are feeling better after that scare! You look so cute in the progression photos at the top (and the mouse ears!)… hope the rest of these weeks pass uneventfully for you as you wait for your sweet boy!

  2. Wow, what a crazy couple of weeks! I’m so glad everything is okay with you and the baby now though. I hope the next few weeks are much calmer for you!

    1. Thanks, Tamara! Yah, never been through anything like that while pregnant before. Crazy!

  3. Oh man! What a night you had! I am glad you are feeling better now though – always better to be safe than sorry! I can’t believe the one doctor told you that you were a 4! Big difference from a 2!! Glad you are able to go home and bake baby a little longer! Can’t wait to see the little man and hear what you decided on a name! Love the picture of just you at Disney too! CUTE!!

  4. Hang in there. (Baby, too!) Time flies and even if he waits for his due date he will be here in a twinkling of an eye. So glad all is well. Early contractions must be scary. Dehydration can cause all kinds of problems. Hugs and tummy rubs 🙂

    1. Thanks, Carol! Yes, definitely won’t be long now no matter when he comes! Excited and nervous all at the same time! 🙂

  5. I love that you are sharing this. My last (and I mean last!) was born 9 years ago, and it looks like it might be the same hospital (on Shea?) If so, I’m sure they put you on a table that was entirely too narrow for the 4+ hours you were there. That was my experience. Anyway, keep posting!

    1. Thanks, Cindy! Always fun to know people like reading about it! Yes–I was in Labor & Delivery Triage which has the MOST uncomfortable ever! At one point I was basically in tears, not from the contractions or anything else, but because the stupid bed was hurting my hips, sciatica, and lower back so badly!!!
      Hoping to not need to spend much time in triage this time when we’re there for the REAL deal!

  6. He looks so much like his brothers already. And I think you need to have a vowel start his name to be consistent with them. And two consonants. 🙂

    1. Haha! He certainly is acting like his littlest older brother with the arms in the face. Little Brother ALWAYS slept like that! 🙂 And, yes, we’ve heard that a lot about names. Something we’re definitely considering!

  7. So, I was exhausted when I wrote my comment! I meant start it with a vowel and have two SYLLABLES, not two consonants! Oops! (I’ve been meaning to write this correction for awhile now!)

    1. Lol! I wondered what you meant by the consonants! 🙂 Syllables makes SO much more sense!

  8. It is now July 1, 2014 and I’m just now reading ur story but WHAT HAPPENED? Did ya have a premie? Is he healthy? What name did ya pick out? So many questions left unanswered, lol

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *