YUM! Don’t you just love when you throw a meal together or concoct your own recipe and it turns out SO well?! This was one of those times! A skillet dinner made with chicken apple sausage, apples, and potatoes. Perfect for fall and SO good!
As soon as I saw the new Gourmet Creations Chicken Apple Sausages from Hillshire Farm, I had an idea about a a yummy fall dinner! The flavors of the sausage sounded so good and something that I figured the kids would eat!
So, I set out to create a new recipe…
Chicken Apple Sausage Skillet Meal
(I made a large quantity so we could have leftovers, if you have a small family or don’t want leftovers, obviously reduce quantities)
– 2 packages Hillshire Farm Gourmet Creations Chicken Apple Sausage, sliced
– 4 medium apples (I used golden delicious because that’s what we had), diced
– 7 small-medium red potatoes, sliced
– 1/2 small sweet onion, chopped
– olive oil
– 1/2 C water
– 1 T brown sugar
– salt & pepper to taste
– Heat large pan on stove or electric skillet on medium high heat.
– Drizzle olive oil in the pan
– Chop onion into small pieces and add to skillet
– Slice potatoes fairly thin (about 1/8″ -1/4″ thick)
1. Add sliced potatoes to skillet. Cover.
2. While potatoes and onion cook, dice apples into small chunks (I left the skin on). Stir potatoes & onions, then add apples, brown sugar & water. Cover.
3. While that cooks, cut sausage into slices. Add to the skillet.
4. Let all ingredients cook together until potatoes and apples are tender. Add salt & pepper to taste.
Serve up & enjoy! I thought it would be really pretty plated with asparagus, but I thought of that too late & we didn’t have any. So, we just had ours with broccoli & carrots. But, it was SO good–love it when even the kids like it! 🙂 And, I love that it was essentially a one-dish meal so there hardly any dishes! A win-win!
Linked to: *CSI Project Fall Foods Challenge
Disclosure: This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias. #GourmetCreations #cbias You can view my whole shopping experience here, on Google+. As always, all opinions and experiences are my own.
Oh yum!! This looks very tasty and perfect recipe for a chilly day.
This looks so good! I haven’t seen those sausages… I’m def going to keep an eye out! 😉
Yum! Thanks for sharing. Your recipe looks really delicious!
Oooh, I like it. Comfort food that is easy and good for you too.
This is seriously the best meal ever.. We have made it a few times now and love it more every time!
Lea, thanks so much for taking the time to comment and let me know! It IS indeed super yummy!!! 🙂 Glad you enjoy it!!
I made this a few weeks ago and it was a huge hit with my family! I’m going to make it for a fellowship dinner at church tomorrow!
Awesome, Stacy! Thanks for letting me know!
Made this for dinner tonight – very easy, and very tasty! Thanks for sharing it!
Awesome! Thanks for commenting! So glad you enjoyed!
Can this meal be made in a crockpot? If yes how would you make it? Would you add liquid? Maybe a broth?
I’ve never tried it in a crock pot. I’d worry a bit about a mushiness factor with the potatoes and apples. But you can certainly try it. If you do, please let us know how it goes!
I made this tonight and made ribbons of thin thin kale and it really brightened it up! Getting in greens while also it being so tasty is a great mix! I make this every fall, it’s a part of the family.