Mmmm…’tis the season for nice, warm, creamy comfort foods! And, this creamy asparagus rice certainly fits the bill! YUM! If you’re looking for a delicious side dish for your holiday meal (Thanksgiving or Christmas), I think this would be a great addition! It’s not difficult to make at all. Plus, you can make it all in one pan (my favorite kind of dish)! Doesn’t it look so good?! I think I need to make a batch right now! You can’t really go wrong with some creamy, starchy goodness. Plus, I love asparagus. So, this is such a great dish. You really could have a big bowl for a main dish. Though it pairs so perfectly as a side with shrimp, chicken, turkey, or steak! Mmmmmmmmm!!!! Just grab your ingredients & a pan. Then in about 30 minutes, you’ll have a delicious dish to serve! Here’s the recipe:
Creamy Asparagus Risotto
- 1.5 cups long grain white rice
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 3 - 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- small handful of fresh basil and parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Trim the tough ends off of the asparagus and cut remaining into 1" pieces. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the rice and cook for 3 minutes more or until lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add 3 cups of the broth to the rice, stir and cover. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the asparagus to the rice and stir to combine. Cover and continue cooking until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 10 more minutes.
- When the rice is done, turn the heat down to low and add the half & half, butter, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Stir constantly until the cheese is worked in and the dish is nice and creamy. Add additional broth as needed to loosen up the dish.
- Remove from heat and stir in the fresh herbs. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve immediately with extra Parmesan and/or fresh herbs on top, if desired.