These fudgy peanut butter black bean brownies are a great high-protein post-workout snack or tasty better-for-you dessert treat! And, don’t let the name scare you – these brownies really are SO good! Have you ever had black bean brownies? The concept is nothing new but I was SHOCKED to learn how many of my friends had never tried them…and how many had never even heard of them. I’ve really been trying to eat healthier lately and do more workouts. Since beans are high in protein, they’re a great post-workout snack to aid in recovery helping to build muscle. Often times my workouts are in the evenings, so something that doubles as a great post-workout snack and a better-for-you dessert is perfect – like black bean brownies. But…don’t be fooled into thinking that these are some “yucky-tasting crazy weird health food” – these really do taste like delicious, fudgy, rich brownies! I mean…just look at these!! Drool! Since chocolate and peanut butter are one of my very favorite flavor combinations, that’s exactly what I decided to do for this batch of black bean brownies. And oh my are they ever fudgy, rich, delicious, and packed with protein! With a recent push (from the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans) toward more consumption of plant-based protein, this recipe is perfect as beans are one of the best sources! in additional to all the great plant-based protein, fiber, and nutrients – this recipe is great as it’s free from refined sugar (with the exception of the baking chips), has NO flour (it’s completely gluten free) and has no processed oils – definitely a recipe you can feel good about! And, it’s easy to make too! The hardest part (which isn’t really hard at all), is just pureeing the black beans! You’ll want a high-powered blender or good food processor to do that. Then, it’s just as simple as stirring a few ingredients together! The recipe really is so easy to whip up! You can bake up a quick batch on the weekend, then have great post-workout treats for the week! They make a pretty awesome better-for-you dessert for the kids too! My boys LOVED them!!! Here’s the easy recipe:
Fudgy Peanut Butter Black Bean Brownies
- 1 can S&W black beans
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder I used natural unsweetened
- 1/3 cup peanut butter I used natural -with no added sugars or ingredients
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 - 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips or other chips of your choice. Can use peanut butter chips too
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a high-powered blender or food processor, combine beans, applesauce, and vanilla until well-combined. Make sure that beans are all pureed (no one wants to bite into a whole bean in their brownies).
- Scoop bean puree into a medium mixing bowl. Add all remaining ingredients (except for baking chips) and stir until well-combined.
- Gently fold in about half of the baking chips (I used about 1/3 cup in the mix then saved another 1/3 cup for the top).
- Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper and spray parchment with a light coating of cooking spray. Then, pour the contents of the mixing bowl into the parchment lined pan. (Make sure contents are evenly spread in the pan).
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes in the oven. Remove and sprinkle about 1/3 cup baking chips over the top. If desired, return to oven for just a minute to start melting the chips and spread over the top like a very thing layer of frosting.
- For garnish, then sprinkle with a few more baking chips.
- Remove parchment from pan and let cool on rack at least 10 minutes before cutting.
- Cut into squares and store in the fridge (in a sealed container). We prefer eating them cold.
Yum! They’re SO good! So, I definitely recommend you giving them a try! For even more great recipes, nutritional facts and information on S&W Beans, www.swbeans.com. You can also check out their Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube channels!
Have YOU ever tried black bean brownies? How do you think these look?
This post is sponsored by FitFluential on behalf of S&W Beans.