The Dr. Seuss fun continues! In the past few days, we’ve shared Cat in the Hat push-up pops, Green “Eggs” & Ham pancakes, and Cat in the Hat pencil toppers. Up next is another fun food– Thing 1 and Thing 2 inspired cupcakes! We made some crazy Thing cupcakes before for a little fun Dr. Seuss birthday dinner…Fun right?! The boys loved them! So, the cupcakes today are a totally different twist on a this fun Dr. Seuss dessert! They are super easy to make and if you want them to be even more like “Thing 1 and Thing 2”, you can do red cupcake liners and make the little circular labels. But, even without, kids will love them…perfect to eat while reading Dr. Seuss’ Cat in the Hat! The blue cotton candy really helps give them that Thing 1 vibe with that crazy thing hair! Plus, they’re mini cupcakes, making them the perfect little bite-sized indulgence.Here’s the simple recipe! Enjoy!
Dr. Seuss Thing 1 and Thing 2 Inspired Mini Cupcakes
- • 1 box white cake mix prepared (or favorite cake recipe)
- • Wilton Icing Tint red
- • Buttercream frosting recipe in notes or use premade
- • Blue Cotton Candy
- Prepare cake mix as directed on the box. Tint with the Wilton Icing tint until batter reaches the desired shade of red.
- Line mini muffin tin with mini cupcake papers. Spray with non-stick spray. Pour 1 tablespoon batter into each cupcake paper.
- Bake as directed. Cool on wire rack.
- Scoop frosting into pastry bag fitted with a round tip.
- When cupcakes are cool to the touch, add a swirl of frosting. Start at the outside of each cupcake and make a spiral towards the center. Top with a tuft of cotton candy.
• 3 cups powdered sugar
• ¾ cup butter
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1-2 TBS milk Beat powdered sugar and butter with electric mixer until combined. Add vanilla. Mix in milk 1 tsp at a time until frosting reaches desired consistency.
For more Dr. Seuss fun foods, don’t miss this ultimate Dr. Seuss list with over 75 Seuss-tastic activities & recipes!