I may as well deem this “Star Wars week” on the blog! As I type this, I’m en route to the #StarWarsEvent in LA to interview the cast of Star Wars: The Force Awakens!! So, we’ll have details of those interviews here on the blog later this week, along with a fun Star Wars breakfast, Force Awakens party ideas, and more! But, we’re kicking things off with these awesome glittery Star Wars ornaments! Don’t they look SO cool?!?! With Star Wars: The Force Awakens hitting theaters in LESS THAN 2 WEEKS, the Star Wars excitement is palpable. Given the timing of the movie, a Star Wars ornament is a perfect craft (or gift idea) for the holidays! These look really cool hanging on the tree! With the free printables offered here and on HP’s MyPrintly site, this project is SUPER easy to do! And don’t be scared because it involves glitter! You can keep the glitter completely contained INSIDE the ornament!! If you’ve never made glitter ornaments before, it’s a pretty cool process. And really, you can use this process to do ANY kind of glitter ornaments you’d like. But, we’re all about Star Wars right now, so that’s what our focus is!! Here’s how to make your own:
- Liquid Floor Finish
- 4” (100mm) clear plastic flat oval (disc ornament)
- Fine glitter (silver and/or gold)
- Star Wars Symbol Printables (download below)
- Scissors or Paper Cutter
- Mod Podge and Brush
DIY Glitter Star Wars Ornaments Directions:
- Download and print the Star Wars Symbol printables. Printing on matte photo paper or light weight card stock on a photo setting is recommended.
Click HERE to download the Star Wars Logo Printables. If you’d like to do the Rebel and Imperial Symbols, head on over to HP’s MyPrintly site to download!!
- Gather your supplies and prep your work area (you might want to put down some newspaper first as the floor finish is sticky).
- The secret ingredient here is the Pledge liquid floor finish. It’s what holds the glitter to the inside of the ornament! So, you’ll remove the cap of ornament and pour about 1-2 Tablespoons of the floor finish into the ornament. Cover the opening (with your hand or a rolled up paper towel) and gently swirl the floor finish throughout the ornament (you want the entire inside of the ornament covered).
- Pour out any remaining liquid. Then (using a funnel or rolled piece of paper), add fine glitter to the inside of the ornament. Add a tablespoon or two at a time, swirling around the ornament. Continue adding glitter until the ornament is coated! (NOTE – Be SURE to use fine (or even extra fine glitter). The larger stuff is too heavy and overtime falls off much more easily than the fine glitter does!!)
- Place the ornament top back on the opening. Now you have a pretty glittery ornament.
- To make it Star Wars-themed, cut the symbols out from the printable sheet.
- Use a thin layer of Mod Podge on the center of the ornament to start sticking down the printed symbol. Then brush thin layers of Mod Podge over the top of the printable until everything is stuck down (because of the shape of the ornament, you will need to work at smoothing down the edges to minimize creases). Let dry.
- Once dry, add ribbon and hang on your tree or give as a gift!
LOVE! These would be really fun to give as little gifts for friends and family that you’re going to see the new movie with!! And, if you need some more fun Star Wars ideas, be sure to check out these posts:
Are you planning to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens on Dec. 18th?!?!