Anyone else a big fan of cherry limeades? Mmmm….they’re one of our favorite drinks here, especially in the summer! So, why not put all those delicious flavors in a cupcake?! Hello awesome! Don’t they just look so tasty & fun?! They’re perfect for a party!
And talk about the perfect combination of flavors! Homemade lime cupcakes topped with cherry buttercream icing. Seriously so good – like a sweet fruit flavor explosion! I love how bright & colorful these look – just so cheery! So, if you’re looking for a fun & different cupcake, give this one a try!
- 1 cup cold milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 8 T freshly squeezed lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 3 T lime zest
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- (optional) Lime slices and/or maraschino cherry
- (optional) Neon green and white paper straws
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Neon pink food gel
- Preheat oven to 325° and line cupcake pans with liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Add whole eggs, one at a time, and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the vanilla, freshly squeezed lime juice and lime zest to the mixture and mix well.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt and cornstarch and mix well with a fork.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour the mixed cupcake batter into the cupcake liners, filling ⅔ full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for first 10 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to complete cooling process.
- While cupcakes cool, prepare the icing in a medium bowl - add the butter and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the cherry juice and almond extract and mix until well blended.
- Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, and mix until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Add a small amount of neon pink food gel until you reach a hot pink color.
- Frost cupcakes
- Slice a lime and garnish each cupcake with ½ of a slice & a cherry if desired.
- (optional) Cut 6 paper straws in half and insert into each cupcake.
For cupcake ideas, be sure to check out some of our other posts: animal cupcakes, cinnamon cream cheese frosted cupcakes, 3-ingredient pumpkin cinnamon cupcakes, green velvet & irish cream cupcakes, carrot cake cupcakes.