Looking for some fun, family friendly, multiplayer video games? We’ve got you covered with the absolute BEST 4-player Nintendo Switch Games! (This post will be updated as we learn about & try new games! So be sure to pin this or save it for later)Have more than 2 kids? Want to play video games as a family? Then this is the post for you! With 3 kids here, we are always on the lookout for 4-player video games that our boys can play together. So, we’ve rounded up our favorites in one spot – with our complete (and ever-expanding list) of THE best 4-player Nintendo Switch Games! All the games featured in this post are ones that you can play together (up to 4 players) on 1 Nintendo Switch system (though you will need enough controllers for 4 people)!
Disclosure: Affiliate links are included below to make your shopping easier, from which we may earn a small commission if you make a purchase. Also, we have partnered with Nintendo over the years, which means that we occasionally receive items from Nintendo and some of the items featured below were sent to us by Nintendo.
Why the Nintendo Switch?
If you’re reading this, you probably already have a Nintendo Switch, or you’re considering purchasing. So, just in case it’s the latter, I thought we’d review a bit about the Switch first. The easy answer to “Why the Nintendo Switch?” is because it is quite simply the best gaming systems for families – especially if you’re looking for family-friendly games (and of course all your classic Nintendo favorites like anything Super Mario).
The Nintendo Switch game system debuted in March 2017. And in addition to the great family-friendliness that Nintendo has provided for decades, the extra awesome thing with the Switch is that it can be played at home or on the go. Here are the 3 ways to play:
- TV mode (where the unit rests in the Switch dock and gameplay is projected to your TV)
- Handheld mode (the full console experience anytime, anywhere)
- Tabletop mode (using the kickstand on the back of the Switch unit to prop the system up). So you can be in the middle of game on the TV and move the game to handheld or tabletop mode!
The controllers (called Joy-Cons) allow for new play styles unique to Switch and can be used together (when attached to the Switch) or individually – each Joy-Con detaches from the side of the Switch unit so you can hold one in each hand or each player can take one. The number of Joy-Cons needed to play different multiplayer games does vary, so that is something to keep in mind. You’ll likely want/need a few extra sets of Joy-Cons.
Nintendo Switch OLED Model
Most recently (October 2021), Nintendo launched the new OLED Switch Model and it is a beauty! Sure to be a hot holiday season wish-list item, so if it’s on your list and you see it available somewhere, but sure to snag it! The new model features a vibrant 7-inch OLED screen, a wide adjustable stand, a dock with a wired LAN port for TV play, 64 GB of internal storage, and enhanced audio. And I really happen to like the sleek look of the all black & white!
Local Multiplayer on Nintendo Switch
Now, let’s talk playing games on the Switch! The focus of our game picks are local multiplayer games – especially ones where up to 4 players can play the SAME game on the same console together. While we do have some 1 player only or 1-2 player only games, our preference is at least 4-player games because we’ve got 3 kids. And, one thing we really like about the Switch is that it can be a family (or at least a sibling) activity.
So, when we’re looking for Switch games, local multiplayer is a really important feature. Before you buy, check this by looking at the back of the game. You want to see what the play modes say and look for 1-4 (or more) players for the tv & tabletop modes (as shown in the photo below). If you’re not able to see the back or find details, it can sometimes be tricky to tease out those multiplayer features. So, we’ve got you covered below with all of our favorite in the list below!
Best 4-Player Nintendo Switch Video Games
It’s impossible for us to pick a favorite, so the list is in no particular order. And we’ll update this list as we discover new games (and Nintendo continues to put out awesome new releases)! So be sure to pin this or bookmark it for later! Also, please keep in mind that this is by NO means an exhaustive list. There are SO many great games out there. This is just the list of the family-friendly games that we think our best, based on our own experiences (all games below are rated “E” for everyone)!
New in 2023:
- Super Mario Bros. Wonder – Just released in the fall of 2023, this game is the next evolution of Mario fun…and it is GREAT! The game takes classic Mario to a whole new level with the addition of Wonder Flowers. These game-changing items trigger spectacular moments you have to see to believe…Witness pipes coming alive, float through outer space, wreak havoc as a giant Spike-Ball, and see even more unexpected events called Wonder effects. There are also fun new power-ups like “Elephant Fruit” which you can see in the clip below. It’s a really fun game and would make a great gift this holiday season!
View this post on Instagram
- Sonic Superstars – Also just released in fall of 2023, this is is another all-new take on a classic adventure. This one we haven’t gotten to play yet, but it is one that my boys will be getting for Christmas (shhhhh). In it, you get to play as Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy to journey through the mystical Northstar Islands. We love that this is a 4-player option and clearly think it too would make a great holiday gift!
Great Multiplayer Super Mario Games:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – This was our very first Switch game, because you can’t ever go wrong with Mario Kart!
- Super Mario Party – This original 4-player Mario Party series board game mode that fans love is back in this game! Freely walk the board: choose where to move, which Dice Block to roll, and how to win the most Stars in skill-based mini games.
- Mario Party Superstars – This is a newer release (Oct. 2021) that features 5 classic boards from the Nintendo 64 Mario Party games and 100 mini games from throughout the Mario Party series! All game modes can be played online* with this one too!
- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – While Bowser’s Fury is only 1-2 player, Super Mario 3D World is 1-4. In this, you’ll join Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Toad on a quest to save the Sprixie Kingdom.
- Super Mario Maker 2 – Your little creators will love this one where you can play, create, and share the side-scrolling Super Mario courses of your dreams!
- Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – Take on two family-friendly, side-scrolling adventures with up to three friends* as you try to save the Mushroom Kingdom. Includes the New Super Mario Bros. U and harder, faster New Super Luigi U games—both of which include Nabbit and Toadette as playable characters!
Educational/Brain Challenge Multiplayer Games:
- Puyo Puyo Tetris – Who else LOVES Tetris? It’s my personal favorite game EVER. And you can’t go wrong with this version with multiple game-play modes for up to 4 players!
- Tetris Effect: Connected – This game released in October 2021 and has a multiplayer mode called “Zone Battle,” which shakes up traditional 1-on-1 Tetris gameplay via the time-stopping Zone mechanic made famous in Tetris Effect. And, there’s a “Connected” co-op mode, where up to three players can literally connect their Tetris playfields together and play as one
- Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain – This released in December 2021 and would make a great family game gift! With this one, you can go brain-to brain with friends and family to play a wide variety of activities, like memorizing a series of numbers, identifying an animal as it slowly comes into focus, or helping guide a train to its goal in fun, fast activities. Everyone can play together at varying difficulties, so a kid can hold their own against an adult in this battle of the brains!
Multiplayer Sports Games:
- Rocket League – This is like cars meets soccer. Literally, you basically play soccer with customized cars instead of people…and it is insanely popular! Our high schooler said tons of kids at school play Rocket League. And it is definitely a favorite around here!
- Go Vacation – This one is reminiscent of Wii Sports Resort (if you had a Nintendo Wii or WiiU). There’s over 50 activities with things like jet skiing, ATVing, dog sledding, mini golf, skiing, horse back riding, etc.
- FIFA (various years) – If you’ve got soccer fans, FIFA is a fun one. A new game releases each year. Our family hasn’t kept up with that though. We have FIFA ’18 and the boys still enjoy playing it a lot.
- NBA2k (various years) – And for basketball fans, this is a must get! Much like FIFA, there are yearly releases. Our family has NBA 2k ’20 and they love it!
General Fun Multiplayer Games:
- Super Smash Bros Ultimate – This game gets played a lot around here because you can actually play with up to 8 players on the same device (as long as you have enough Joy Cons). So for a big family or for kids that want to game with friends, this is a great one!
- Carnival Games – This is a great, less expensive game option that is aptly named. There’s 20 total mini games where you can hit home runs, pile the highest stack of cakes, and take your horse to the finish line.
- Just Dance (any year!) – The Just Dance games are fun for all ages! Truly – we’ve had kids as young as 2-3 playing along with grandparents up to age 70. We love this one for a family activity!
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons – (Released March 2020) Great for creators, in this you get to create & explore a whole world. Local 4-player is a little trickier to figure out with this one (everyone does have to be on the same island and have already gotten their phone in the game. You can also play with others online. This is a popular one!
- Star Wars Pinball – For Star Wars fans, this is a really fun one! Just like the game sounds, it is literally Star Wars pinball…as a video game.
So, that’s our list for now! What are your favorite multiplayer games for Nintendo Switch? Tell us in the comments!
Note: This post was originally published in 2021, with relevant editions made since then. The latest update was December 2023.