Do you keep baking soda in the house for uses outside of baking? We do! In fact, we always seem to have multiple containers of it on hand. In fact, I keep that giant bag of it in the laundry room at all times! It’s so inexpensive and has so many different uses. Check out this list with over 15 amazing home uses for baking soda:
- Deodorize the fridge & freezer – We keep the little boxes of ARM & HAMMER baking soda in fridge and freezer all the time to help absorb any funky food odors.
- Clean the kitchen sink – I regularly clean our kitchen sink with just a good baking soda scrub. I just throw in a generous amount (maybe about a cup) and mix with water (or occasionally a bit of vinegar).
- Fruit & Veggie Scrub – Just sprinkle a bit of baking soda on a vegetable brush, scrub and rinse.
- Use in the dishwasher – You can sprinkle some baking soda at the bottom of the dishwasher to help get rid of any stinky food odors. Or, you can even help clean the dishwasher by running an empty cycle with baking soda.
- Clean your glass top stove – Make a paste by combining a bit of baking soda & water. Use that to scrub any grime off the stove. You can follow up with a bit of vinegar to remove streaks (side note – did you know that vinegar is a GREAT glass cleaner?!)
- Freshen carpets – Sprinkle baking soda over the carpet and let it sit for 15 minutes before vacuuming. The baking soda helps to deodorize and freshen the carpet.
- Clean hairbrushes & combs – Add one teaspoon of baking soda to a small basin of water to soak brushes & combs in (then rinse and dry). This helps remove the natural body oils & build up that accumulate.
- Deodorize shoes – As you can see so far, baking soda is a great deodorizer. So, you can sprinkle a little inside stinky shoes to help absorb the odors.
- Safely clean children’s toys -Fill a sink up with warm water and add 1/8 cup of baking soda. Then, wash and rinse off the toys.
- Clean up furniture – Make a little paste of baking soda and water to rub onto the furniture. I’ve heard it’s been known to take off crayon and even some water rings!
- Reduce diaper pail odor – Oh the stink that can come from the diaper pail. Sprinkle fresh baking soda in the bottom of the pail each time you change the bag/liner/etc. to help cut down on the odor.
- Keep flowers fresh – To keep those pretty flower arrangements alive longer, add 1 teaspoon of baking soda into the vase of water!
- Fluff your mashed potatoes – This is the perfect tip to share with Thanksgiving coming up! To make your mashed potatoes fluffier, add a pinch of baking soda!
- Absorb grease stains – If you’ve got fresh oil/grease stains in the garage or driveway, try sprinkling baking soda over the spots to help absorb it.
- Soothe itchy bug bites – I remember my grandma doing this with me when I was a kid. I react really badly to mosquito bites. So, to soothe the itching a bit, make a thick paste of baking soda & water. Then put the paste on the bug bites. For me, it doesn’t stop the itch completely, but it does really cut it down!
- Laundry booster – This is why I keep baking soda in the laundry room! 😉 Add about a 1/2 cup or so per load to help make your clothes smell better and feel fresher! Or, you could try the ARM & HAMMER Ultra Power 4X Concentrated detergent. Since getting sent a sample to try out, I’ve been SO impressed with how the laundry ends up looking & smelling!
Awesome, right?! And that list above barely even scratches the surface of all the incredible uses of baking soda! It’s a must-have product to keep in the house! Now, how about a GIVEAWAY!!!
One lucky reader will receive an ARM & HAMMER Gift Pack featuring 2-3 ARM & HAMMER products (possibilities shown in the image below) AND a $100 VISA gift card!!!! You could buy A LOT of baking soda with that! 😉 Ha! Enter via the Rafflecopter form below. Open to US & Canada residents, 18+ years. Giveaway ends on November 8th, 2013 at 11:59pm MST.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
For more from ARM & HAMMER™…