We’re continuing our Dr. Seuss fun on the blog with this fun chenille Cat in the Hat craft! It’s a frugal kid’s craft that is perfect for celebrating Seuss with your kiddos at home or in your classroom. This cute little chenille Cat in the Hat only takes a couple of minutes to make and is perfect for a pencil topper or finger puppet!
So, are you ready to get crafting? Let’s go!
2 red pipe cleaners
2 white pipe cleaners
2 black pipe cleaners
Small foam craft ball
Pair of googly eyes
Hot glue (& glue gun)
1. Begin by cutting about one inch off of each pipe cleaner. These will be used later for detailing. Set aside.
2. Line the red and white pipe cleaners up next to each other, alternating colors. Twist them around
your finger to form a corkscrew. This will be the hat.
4. Add your pair of eyes. Simply glue them to the ball and press until secure.
5. Now line the black pipe cleaners up and twist them around your finger again. This will be the body of your cat. Attach the body to the bottom of the foam head, using a dab of glue and a little pressure. 6. Take two of the black sections of pipe cleaner you cut. Twist those to the sides of the body for arms.
7. Twist another cut section of red pipe cleaner into a bow shape. Glue it to the front of the body as the cat’s bow tie.
8. You can now add ears, by bending two of the black sections into a V shape. Add a dab of glue to the ends and press to the side of the cat’s head. Bend another section into a V and glue it to the front of the face for the nose. You could leave him as is for a fun little “toy”, but add a white or black curl and it becomes a cute Cat in the Hat pencil topper or finger puppet! We did the same thing for some Monsters University-inspired finger puppets and the boys still love playing them! For even more Dr. Seuss fun, don’t miss this ultimate Dr. Seuss list with over 75 more Seuss-tastic crafts & activities!Pin It