In addition to the delicious strawberry delight dessert we had this summer in Nebraska, Mr. Mom Endeavors’ Mom introduced us to another frozen treat, only this one is a nod to the classic DQ buster bars. And, oh my goodness all, it’s so good! This homemade buster bar dessert is a definite crowd-pleaser! It’s salty & sweet, rich, chocolately, frozen goodness. And thankfully, because it is rich, a 9×13 pan of it goes a long way! Perfect for parties, group events, or just keeping a pan in the freezer. Deliciously good!
Homemade Buster Bar Dessert Recipe
- 1 package Oreo cookies, crushed
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1.5 C salted peanuts
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 2/3 C chocolate chips
- 1.5 C evaporated milk
- 1/2 C butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix crushed cookies and melted butter. Press mixture into a 9×13 pan. Stick in the freezer for a few minutes to harden up.
- Spread softened (just soft enough to spread, but not all melty) ice cream on top of the hardened cookie layer.
- Top with salted peanuts and return to the freezer.
- While those layers are in the freezer, make the topping (*note: if you do not want to make the topping from scratch, I’m sure you could substitute for a jar of fudge topping). For the topping, boil the sugar, chocolate chips, evaporated milk, and butter in a small sauce pan for 8 minutes, stirring constantly. Cool & stir in 1 tsp vanilla.
- Let cool completely, then spread over ice cream and peanuts. Freeze.
- Let freeze completely (at least a few hours) and then serve. Serving tip – run the knife under hot water first before slicing.
Do YOU enjoy the salty & sweet dessert combination?Pin It