Vinegar Cucumber Salad

I’m sharing one of our favorite summer recipes with you today! Vinegar cucumber salad couldn’t be easier to make and it is the perfect summer side dish! My husband grew up on this “salad” in the Midwest, so he’s thrilled anytime I make this!Vinegar CucumbersSuper yum! Even if you don’t like onion (I don’t), continue on because the cucumbers really are delicious! These vinegar cucumbers make an awesome side for any summer BBQs or potlucks!

Ingredients:

• 3-4 large cucumbers
  • 1/3 – 1/2 large sweet onion (depending on how much you like onion)
  • 1.5 C vinegar (I prefer Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar for this recipe)
  • 2.5 C water
  • salt & pepper to taste

Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar Cucumbers

Directions:

1. Peel and slice cucumber. Slice onion. You want everything thin enough that you don’t have giant chunks, but not so thin that everything just falls apart. *Note – even if you do NOT like onion, do NOT omit. My husband loves the onion in this, I do not. But, I tried making this recipe without the onion and the flavor was all off. So, if you don’t like onion, just don’t eat any of them when you dish it up! 😉
  2. Dump the cucumber and onion into a large serving dish. Add vinegar and water–enough to cover the vegetables. As long as you keep the vinegar & water ratios about 1 part to 2 parts, you should be good!
  3. Season with salt & pepper to taste (I don’t add much).
  4. Cover and refrigerate. If you can make it overnight, that’s best. They are SO good after they’ve been sitting for at least 12 hours. 24 is even better!!

Marinated cucumbersWe love these! Easy to make, low in calories, and perfect for summer! A total win! But, if cucumbers aren’t you’re thing, another favorite side dish (that also uses vinegar) is this marinated vegetable salad! It’s sooooo good! And for even more recipes using apple cider vinegar, check out the Heinz Vinegar website or Pinterest page!

What are YOUR favorite recipes that use vinegar?

Disclosure: I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Heinz Vinegar. I received a product sample to facilitate my review and as a thank you for participating.

Linked to: Flamingo Toes; guest post on Today’s Creative Blog

Pin It

Comments

1. jane says

This seems a variation on my mother’s recipe, but we cut up the cucumbers, added 1/4 to 1/2 c sugar depending on the amount of cucumber, then added one or two tablespoons cider vinegar. put on the lid and shake. Place in the refrigerator overnight. serve the next day. The sugar pulls water out of the cucumbers and they are sweet, sour and crisp. Try it.

• Sara @MomEndeavors says

Thanks, Jane! I think there are probably many variations of this classic recipe. We’re trying to limit sugar, so I don’t put any in. But, I know that for some, that’s the classic way to make these!

• Vee says

I was born and raised in Iowa and the recipe my mother used all those years, which I still make, is l C vinegar, l C water, and l C sugar, then salt and pepper and whatever else you want to add like celery salt, garlic etc. Grew up on it and still love it.

2. Phillip says

A long time fav of mine, but I have added sliced ripe tomatoes, and freeze dried dill to the mix before I marinate. Delish.

3. Emm says

My mother used to make this. She passed away 20 years ago & I’ve tried to recreate the recipe without any luck. Turns out I was only missing the water to dilute the vinegar! Try using a white balsamic for a sweeter taste. Thanks bunches for the recipe!!

4. Wendi says

We also add sugar, it really makes all the difference!! I just add a little at a time and taste test the juice until it is what I prefer. If you don’t like the onion, try red onions, they are naturally sweeter, therefore they compliment the sugar perfectly. I grew up on the recipe with white onions, but I now prefer red onions!!

• Sara @MomEndeavors says

Yep! Seriously without sugar. It’s healthier that way and tastes fine to us. The fun thing about this recipe is that I’ve seen HUNDREDS of different family versions of it. This one is ours!

5. Judy says

Oh how. I love this, I don’t like onions but I do put onion powder. And sometimes I put Greene Chile. I put ice instead of water keeps cool and when alll gone there ready, but if like my family you don’t waite.

6. Rhonda says

Love, love using apple cider vinegar. I pour 1 cup very warm water over three partially peeled English cucumbers and red onion before adding an equal amount of the vinegar, some red pepper flakes, and cilantro. The vinegar is so good that I drink spoonfuls of it with each serving of cucumber!

• Sara @MomEndeavors says

All just a matter of personal preference (and how large your container is). For a larger bowl like the one in the post 2 – 2.5 cups is good for us.

7. carolyn sellers says

I KNOW WE ARE TALKING ABOUT CUCUMBERS BUT HAVE YOU EVER TRIED YELLOW SQUASH PICKLES , JUST SLICE SMALL YELLOW SQUASH PUT IN JARS WITH ONION SLICED TAKE VINEGAR, SUGAR AND PICKLING SPICE TIED UP IN CHEESE CLOTH HEAT TO BOILING AND POUR OVER SQUASH IN JARS. I ALSO DO ZUCCHINI SLICED. OH SO GOOD. TURN JARS OVER UNTIL TOP OF LID POPS DOWN.

Trackbacks