If you’re looking for an easy-to-make and hearty breakfast dish, this is breakfast egg casserole is family favorite around here. We have had it every Christmas morning for years, but it’s great anytime. I even freeze it and it works great! It might be something extra good this time of year if you’re get stuck in a back-to-school breakfast rut!
(Makes 1 large 9x13 pan or two smaller 8X8 pans. I made 2 8x8’s…one for that morning and I put one in the freezer).
- 6–8 slices of bread, buttered on one side
- 1-2lbs sausage (depending on how “meaty” you like it)
- 2 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 12–14 beaten eggs
- 1 1/2 C milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- *optional– 2 4oz cans of green chiles (drained)
You’ll need to start by browning your sausage. I normally use the tubes o’ Jimmy Dean sausage. But, I had a coupon for these links that made them SUPER cheap, so just went with that. So, brown it first and chop it up. Then, start layering ingredients.
1. Put bread in, butter side down. Top with sausage.
2. Sprinkle cheese (and chiles if using) over the bread & sausage.
3. Milk together the beaten eggs & milk. Then, pour over the layered ingredients.
4. Cover & refrigerate overnight. In the morning, place pan in a large pan with water and bake for 1 hour at 350.
Then, let cool, serve warm & eat! Or, you can place one in the freezer & it for another morning! I’ve got that aluminum pan one in my freezer right now.