Star Wars mania is in full swing with some BIG Star Wars: The Force Awakens news that just hit (like a new trailer, movie marathon ticket sales, and the official movie poster)- SO FUN! In fact, the official movie poster was JUST released this morning and the new trailer will air tomorrow night during Monday night football (and I’ll be sharing here just as soon as I can). So no better excuse than that to share a little Star Wars fun here on the blog! And, this Star Wars inspired kids stitch craft is such a great activity! But first…new movie poster!!!! It looks AWESOME! But SO interesting that Luke is not on the poster! Now we need an large copy to hang in the Star Wars playroom with the rest of the Star Wars movie posters!! You can also print off a fun Star Wars countdown calendar to get ready for the movie! We’re so excited! In the meantime though, you can do some fun Star Wars activities like this stitch craft!!!
Stitch Crafts are GREAT for kids! And, when they’re Star Wars- themed, they certainly are more fun! 😉 With just a few supplies and the free templates provided here, it’s easy to do these at home!
Star Wars Stitch Craft Supplies:
– 5.5 x 8.5 Inch Foam Sheets (red, black & white)
– Embroidery Floss (green, yellow & black)
– Plastic Canvas Needles
– Punch Tool (I used a bead reamer but you could use a nail, wooden skewer or anything sharp and pointed)
– Templates (free to download below)
– Foam Board or Empty Box (as a base when punching holes)
You’ll need to download the templates first to get started! Just click on the links below to download the free printable pdf!
Star Wars Stitch Craft Directions:
- Place your 5×8 foam sheet on top of your foam board or empty box and place your printed template on top of the foam sheet.
- Using your bead reamer (or other sharp device), punch several small holes along the outside edge and highlights of your template. Be sure to punch hard enough to make it all the way through the foam sheet.
- Cut a manageable length of colored embroidery floss for your child to work with.
- Use tape to bind one end of the floss as shown below. This will make it easy for your child to thread the plastic needle. Then, have your child tie a knot on the other end of the floss securing the needle to the floss.
- Start your craft by threading the needle from the back of the 5×8 foam sheet (The tape will act as a stopper on the back of the foam sheet).
- Help your child change out the thread color as needed.
- Repeat the process for every sheet you make!
Want even MORE Star Wars crafts like this?! My friend, Amanda (from Crafts by Amanda), wrote an AWESOME Star Wars Mania Craft Book (affiliate link)! There are SO many fun Star Wars crafts in it that kids would LOVE to make – like this Chewbacca Paint Stick Craft and the R2-D2 Pencil Holder. The book would be a great Christmas gift too!!
Are YOU excited for the new Star Wars movie?