Ready for some spooky Halloween fun? I’m so excited to share with you some spooktacular ideas for a fun mad scientist lab Halloween party as part of a sponsored campaign compensated by Collective Bias and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SpookySnacks #CollectiveBias
As a former science teacher, I used to have SO much fun on Halloween with my students. Each year, I would throw my classes a mad scientist Halloween party for Halloween – complete with some fun, spooky science experiments. There was always a lot of dry ice involved as well. So, I decided to recreate the whole concept for a fun Halloween-themed party at home! Whether it’s young kids, teens/tween, or adults, a Spooky Snack Lab Party is an awesome way to go – or even just a fun idea for Halloween night dinner (much like our Witch’s Potion Buffet Dinner)! Given those traditional orange and black Halloween colors, OREO and Fanta are a great place to start for food ideas! The OREO cookies even come with special Glow-in-the-Dark packaging – making it an especially perfect Halloween party treat (and great to hand out to trick-or-treaters too)!
Mad Scientist Halloween Party Food Ideas…
To keep with the theme, you want to think of some things that you might find in a science lab! Since my background is in biology, we went a little more that route for food – thinking bacteria, spiders, worms, bones, body parts, etc. Here’s the spooky lab snacks we served up:
- Poison Punch (Fanta & Orange Sherbet with some dry ice added for effect)
- Gummy Eyeball Candies
- Spider Sludge (Fanta & OREO no-bake cheesecakes, recipe below)
- Bowl of worms (hot dogs cut in quarters & boiled)
- Plate of Eyeballs (powdered donut holes with drips of candy blood)
- Bowl of Fried Spiders (get the fried spider directions here)
You can also add other orange, black, green or purple items. I thought a bowl of cheese puffs looked great on table! We also found white cheddar cheese puffs for Halloween called “Bag of Bones” that worked perfectly. Mason jars or beakers filled with items also can double as food & decor too. We had jars of gummy worms, gummy sharks, etc. And, fill a beaker full of sauerkraut (it looks just like parasitic worms – EWWWW!) and goes with the hot dogs! Blood (Ketchup) can of course be put in a beaker or agar plate too!
Spider Sludge (Fanta & OREO no-bake orange cheesecake recipe) Since the Fanta and OREO cookies are perfect Halloween colors (plus, orange & chocolate taste great together), I decided to make little no-bake cheesecake cups! We added a spider and called them spider sludge (ew). But really, this taste like an orange creamsicle with some delicious chocolate crunch. YUM!!!!!! The kids absolutely LOVED this!! And, it’s SO easy to make!
Mad Scientist Lab Halloween Party
- 2 8 oz packages cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup Fanta Orange Soda
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp orange zest zest of 1 large orange
- orange food coloring
- In a mixer, start to mix the cream cheese until smooth. Add Fanta and orange zest until well-combined. Then, slowly add powdered sugar until smooth & mixed well.
- Place 10-20 OREO cookies in a baggie and crush.
- In individual serving cups or small mason jars, add a small layer of the crushed cookies. Then top with a thick layer of the cheesecake mixture. Place in the refrigerator to allow the cheesecake to set (ideally 2-3 hours+)
- Once ready to serve, top with a sprinkle of crushed cookies (and a spider if desired) as garnish.
Mad Scientist Halloween Party Decor Ideas…
Really, all the spooky snacks double as decor! To help add to the whole scene, I used some beakers & Erlenmeyer flasks filled with Fanta (and dry ice) to really set the scene. Agar plates would also be perfect! The dry ice really makes it feel more like a science lab!
Other science-y items that work well too are skulls, skeletons, bones, fossils, black birds (I had a black crow), rats, spiders, bugs, slime, etc.
As the hostess, it would be adorable to wear a lab coat & safety googles with some crazy, messy hair. Then, you could also do some activities like slime-making! You could even send guests home with a Slime Kit!!! So fun!! I love how this all came together! There are SO many ways that you can get creative in creating your own mad scientist Halloween party!
And, all the ingredients (& most of the decor) are easy to find on a shopping trip to Walmart! We found a huge display of the Glow-in-the-Dark OREO cookies in the middle of one of the main aisles too!
What is YOUR favorite spook snack idea? For even more inspiration, be sure to check out all these spooky snack ideas Fanta & OREO!! Evette Rios (host of the CBS show “Recipe Rehab”) is creating a custom, Walmart-exclusive recipe that combines both Fanta and OREO products! There is a lot of fun content on that site!