Make this fun football-shaped cheese ball dip for a sweet game day treat!
Football season is HERE!!! And that means it is time for football food!!! It’s no secret that we love football season here – especially of the college variety (Go Big Red!) and we love doing some “homegating”, hosting friends, and making some fun game day eats! One of our favorite things on football Saturdays is dips. In fact, I just shared a list with over 20 of our favorite football dip recipes and this fun football-shaped cheese ball dip is a great dessert option! Great for your game day tailgate or homegate, right?! Cheese balls are always a fun thing to serve, but football-shaped and sweet?! TOUCHDOWN! 😉 Since it’s a sweet cheese ball (with a little bit of a cheesecake vibe going on), you’ll want to serve it up with items like cookies, pretzels, pretzel chips, or even apples! YUM! This one has a cream cheese base, but you could totally make this football “cheese ball” dip with our eggless cookie dough recipe instead if you wanted! I don’t think you can go wrong either way.
Another winning point is that this football cheese ball is easy to make. The hardest part (which really isn’t that hard) is just shaping the mixture into the football shape! You just mix up a few ingredients, shape, and top with chocolate chips! Here’s the easy recipe:
Chocolate Chip Football Cheese Ball
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 package 12 oz mini chocolate chips, divided
- Mini Nilla Wafer Cookies or other options like pretzels or apples
- In a mixing bowl beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Add powdered sugar and brown sugar and mix well. Reserve about 1-2 TBSP out in a small plastic baggie for piping laces if desired.
- Fold in 3/4 cup chocolate chips to mixing bowl mixture.
- Remove mixture onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Gently smooth and shape the cream cheese mixture into a football shape by wrapping the plastic around the cheese ball. Begin by pulling in the wrap up in the center until it meets. Fold the top over and twist the ends of the plastic wrap to keep the pointed end shape.
- Chill to set in the refrigerator as needed (timing just depends on how soft the mixture is. 30 minutes - 1 hour will likely be fine, but can even do overnight if desired).
- Remove the cheese ball from the plastic wrap and place onto a serving plate (fix shape as needed). Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips onto the cheese ball. Press them into the top and sides to cover evenly.
- Use your reserved baggie of cream cheese mixture (snip off a little corner of the baggie) to pipe the football laces on top of the chocolate chips (or you could just use a little white frosting tube/pen if you have one).
- Serve with cookies, pretzels, or apples!
So, whip up this chocolate chip football cheese ball for your next game day party and dive in to some sweet tastes! Enjoy and happy football watching!!
Like it? Pin it!
I made this for super bowl and everyone loved it! I think it was best served with pretzels, I love vanilla wafers but It’s very humid here so they can’t sit out to long. I had four families over and they all wanted the recipe. I’m definitely not waiting until next super bowl, I’ll try to find a good way to turn it Eastery