Although the temperatures are still around 100 here, tomorrow is actually the official first day of fall! And, I am SO ready for all things fall–the cooler temps, the pumpkins, the smell, the sites, the holidays! So, I kicked off the fall season by making an apple cake the other night! We had a few baggies of apples left over from last year’s apple freezer cooking session and making this apple cake was perfect for using them up! The smell of fall wafting throughout the house while it baked was heavenly and the taste—-SOOooo good!!
- 2 cups flour (I used half whole wheat & half all-purpose)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 1/2 C applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 C peeled, cored, & sliced/diced apples
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9×13 pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and oil, add sugar, applesauce, and vanilla.
3. Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Add this to the egg mixture (slowly). Then fold in the apples and spread into the greased pan.
4. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes (or until done). Cool, dust cake with powdered sugar, and serve!
What recipes have you feeling like fall?
Linked to: *CSI Project Fall Food Challenge