Overnight Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

About a year ago, I discovered the fabulousness that is overnight oatmeal in a crock pot! Waking up to a hot pot of oats is SO nice! And, since making the oatmeal stuffed baked apples, I knew I wanted to try an apple cinnamon variety of overnight oatmeal!

Slow Cooker OatmealThis seriously could NOT be any easier! And, you’ll wake up in the morning with a house that smells delicious and a slow cooker full of piping hot oatmeal!

Start the process by dicing up 3 apples. We had Gala because they were on-sale for cheap, but really, any kind will do. I left the skins on for added nutrition. Just core & dice!

Then, spray the inside of your crock pot with a cooking spray (to help keep the oatmeal from sticking). Dump in two cups of steel cut oats (*note: it has to be steel cut!), 2 cups of milk, 4 cups of water, 2 tsp. of vanilla, and 2 tsp. of cinnamon! Apple cinnamon oatmealSet the slow cooker to low and cook covered for about 7 hours. When you get up in the morning, you should have a pot full of oatmeal cooked to perfection along with some great “baked” apples! Crock pot oatsStir it up, add your favorite ingredients (brown sugar, more cinnamon, nuts, raisins, etc), and serve! The nice thing about making a crock pot amount like this is that we end up with enough for multiple days. It keeps great in the fridge for at least a week!

Have you tried any overnight crock pot recipes? What is your favorite(s)?

Pin It

1. Carol Dee says

YUM, I can almost smell it! No recipes here, :) this is oneI want to try. Time to dust off the crock pot! Hugs…

2. Michelle says

Any specific reason it has to be steel cut? I wanted to try this, but all I have is organic regular oatmeal. Thanks for any advice!

• Sara @MomEndeavors says

Hi Michelle! Yes! The steel cut oatmeal hasn’t been processed yet like regular oatmeal. So, it takes longer to cook! I think if you tried it with regular oatmeal overnight it would either be burnt or a gummy/mushy mess.

• Sara @MomEndeavors says

Hi Stephanie! Skim milk would be fine. We prefer more apples, but I’m sure 2 would be fine too (just less appley).

• Olivia says

You can use old fashioned oats, but not instant. The texture will be smoother than with the steel cut, but it is doable!

3. Terri says

I made this last night. I added 1/4 cup of brown sugar. It still has no taste. I used steel cut oatmeal. the texture was fine. Just no taste. I added maple syrup just to get any flavor. It definitely needs more spices.

• Sara @MomEndeavors says

Sorry you weren’t happy with it Terri! This was just meant to be a basic recipe where then you add in whatever flavor add-ins you like in the morning. Where spices, sweetness, etc are concerned I find that individual tastes vary a lot – even within my own family. So, I just make a basic recipe in bulk and then add in the mix-ins in the morning!

4. says

Just wanted to say thank you for this recipe! My five-year old twins LOVE it, and so does my husband. I make 1/2 a recipe in my small crockpot, using two apples, and it gets us through most of the week. My girls eat it straight up, and Hubby likes a little raw sugar mixed into his. Thanks again for such a healthy and easy breakfast treat! :)