Snow Paint!

While many of our friends in the midwest had a real snow day today, we had to make our own snowy fun with “snow paint”! I’d made the discovery for this inexpensive, easy & fun paint from the likes of Jenae at I can teach my child & Alison at Oopsey Daisy

To make your snow paint, combine equal parts white glue & shaving cream! Easy, peasy!

Cut out various snowy shapes from card stock (I would definitely recommend a stronger weight paper, as the paint is rather wet).  I did snowmen and snowflakes–there are some snowflake templates here. Then, let the kiddos glop & smear their snow paint all over.
The paint itself has a neat texture, but the really cool part about “snow paint” is that it dries puffy with this very velvety/cottony texture.  The kids LOVE it!
We have all of our little snow paint creations (& some window clings) affixed to our patio door, to remind us it’s winter.
And, if you’re doing a winter-theme unit or whole indoor snow day, then I suggest making (& eating) some snowflake pretzels
…and reading one of our favorite winter books:

What are some of your favorite snow-theme crafts/activities?

*Linked to: Tot Tuesdays, Show & Tell, Tidy Mom, Preschool Corner, Serenity Now, Tatertots & Jello, A Mommy’s Adventures, Craft Schooling Sunday, Sharing Time, Show Us Your Best, Skip to My Lou, Hodgepodge Friday

Pin It

1. Bella Michelle says

I hopped over from Amanda's Weekend Bloggy Reads Linky Party to give you some blog love!!! I think the snow paint is a super idea (may just snag this one for a craft project around here!). Thanks for sharing!

2. Lindsay says

I love how the snowflakes turned out!! We will definitely be doing these soon! (stopping by from Preschool Corner)

3. says

Just stopping by to let you know that I have featured your project on Fun Family Crafts! You can see it here

If you have other kid friendly crafts, I’d love it if you would submit them :) If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

4. Anne says

Just a word of caution. I remember using shaving cream in elementary school to draw on our desks, clean our desks, etc. But after a teenager accidentally inhaled some of it during a game at a birthday party I attended and literally could not breath for a couple of minutes (it coated his trachea and he had a VERY hard time clearing it enough to be able to breathe again), I’ve been VERY leery of using shaving cream around children at all. All it would take is for a child to get it in their mouth and it might not have a very good ending.

5. Wrenea Farrar says

Looking forward to trying the snowflakes. I’m thinking of adding glitter, either white or silver to the mix to see what it looks like!

6. says

What a great idea!
    I’m a kindergarten teacher in search of fun new activities to do with our classes and can’t wait to try this in January along with our Snowman Unit.

7. Erin says

It was very daunting to try to for the first time…but I did this with my Kinders today and they LOVED it!!! Will definately be one I repeat every year!!

8. says

Sara, have you found it necessary to put the shave cream and glue into the fridge overnight? Another site says it works better to do this. What is your experience or have you tried this?

• Sara @MomEndeavors says

Hi De – That’s interesting! I’ve actually never tried that, so I’m not sure if it’s better or not! Let me know if you try it!