The wait is over! Star Wars: The Force Awakens hits theaters THIS week! And, my head is still spinning after seeing the movie! “Mind-blowing” is the simplest way I can sum it up! In fact, the awesome guys over at HowToBeADad posted their (no spoilers) movie reaction live on the red carpet…and they were clearly at a loss for words. I thought that maybe it was just all the hype of being at the insanely cool red carpet. But now, having seen the movie and experienced it for myself, I completely understand. Mind.Blown. There has indeed been an awakening and I HAVE felt it! Disney, Lucasfilm, J.J. Abrams and the entire cast & crew have done a brilliant job of keeping secrets and spoilers from getting out. Truth be told, it was odd doing a #StarWarsEvent press junket & interviewing a cast for a movie you haven’t seen. I questioned whether it was all just to add to the movie hype – essentially just a marketing ploy. But Kathleen Kennedy shared at the press junket that the reason behind the secrecy is the fans – that there are so few opportunities in life for genuine surprises and magic…and they want to give everyone the chance to experience that. And now having seen the movie, I completely get it!!! It was indeed magical. I sincerely hope that everyone (who wants to) is able to see the film in the same way I was able to at the press screening – with NOTHING but your own guesses and theories going in. So, needless to say, you won’t find any spoilers here. I’m not sharing a single thing with you about the plot or character details or anything of the sort. But, since this is a “review”, I will share a few non-spoiler thoughts (and answers to questions I’m fielding), along with some parent-perspective for people who have been asking about taking kids…
10 Thoughts about Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Yes, I liked it.
- Yes, it is THAT good!
- Yes, it lives up to the hype. It IS the Star Wars movie you’ve been looking for!
- J.J. Abrams is a straight-up GENIUS! He hit a walk-off, grand slam home run in this!
- Daisy Ridley as Rey is BRILLIANT!!! (<–click for our exclusive interview with her). Absolutely brilliant.
- The rest of the new main character cast is stellar. VERY well cast! Very well played!
- If you weren’t already completely in love with BB-8, be prepared to be now. I want him to live in my house!
- The movie has a very familiar feel – very akin to the Original Trilogy.
- Lifelong fans and people entering the Star Wars universe for the very first time will all be able to understand, relate, and be entertained.
- Like most good movies do so well, be prepared to experience a FULL range of emotions…and don’t be surprised if your mind is blown and swirling with all kinds of thoughts when the credits roll! 😉
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Parent Perspective – Is it OK for kids?
Star Wars:The Force Awakens is rated PG-13 for sci-fi action violence. And, that truly is the ONLY reason it has that rating. The original trilogy movies carry only a PG rating – BUT, a PG-13 rating didn’t exist back then. For comparison sake, I’d liken Force Awakens closest to Return of the Jedi in terms of the level of intensity, peril, dark themes, etc. Just like the original movies, you’re not going to find even hint of R-rated themes. No nudity, no gore, almost no profanity (the only “bad” words you’ll hear in The Force Awakens are ‘hell’ and ‘damn it’ – and I think those are uttered only 2, maybe 3 times in the whole movie). So I was THRILLED to see that this movie has an overall feel very reminiscent to the original trilogy movies.
If you know me well, you know that my boys (ages 8, 5, and 3) have not yet seen any live action movies of this nature other than Star Wars -Not Avengers, not Indiana Jones, not Goonies, not Pirates, not Harry Potter, etc. But, the boys have seen ALL of the Star Wars movies EXCEPT for the second half of the 3rd prequel (Revenge of the Sith). As a mom, I still feel like Revenge of the Sith is the darkest, most violent, etc. of all the movies in the franchise (though I think Force Awakens comes in at a close second in a few parts).
With that said, there are some VERY intense scenes in the movie. And, I’m not giving you ANY spoilers here (which makes it tough to give you some decision-making context)! So, if you’ve got sensitive little ones or are worried about the content of those intense scenes, I do recommend you go to the movie first and see for yourself – then decide on the kids.
But, if your kids know Star Wars and have already been exposed to the other Star Wars films, then I think this movie will ok for them too. We’re taking the older 2 boys to the very first showing on Thursday night at 7pm! Although there certainly is violence and intensity, this is one live action movie that I think will be enjoyed by EVERY generation. So, plan to go with your WHOLE family!
For more about STAR WARS: The Force Awakens, be sure to check out all our #StarWarsEvent Coverage:
- Star Wars Press Event Photos
- Harrison Ford [Han Solo] Interview
- Daisy Ridley [Rey] Interview
- John Boyega [Finn] Interview
- Lupita Nyong’o [Maz Kanata] and Oscar Isaac [Poe] Interview
- Kathleen Kennedy [Producer & Lucasfilm President] Interview
- J.J. Abrams [Co-writer & Director] Interview
And, you can follow STAR WARS on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube and visit the official STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS website.