Are you a fan of The Bachelor? The show is back for it’s 20th Season TONIGHT (January 4th on ABC)! Can you believe that?! Whether you’re a fan or not, it’s definitely quite an accomplishment to have a show run 15 years! On our #StarWarsEvent/#ABCTVEvent press trip a few weeks ago, we sat down with Chris Harrison (host of The Bachelor all these years for a fascinating “tell-all” interview). I learned some surprising things about the show…and some truths about dating/relationships in general! And…I even got a rose! 😉
There’s a reason the show was such a HUGE initial success and has lasted all these years – Chris summed it up here:
I think in the history of mankind, that 10 minutes of our lives has and never will change. It’s these two people. There’s this man and this woman, scared to death, hoping that they found true love. And as cheesy as that may sound, it is that one thing that no matter where you go in the world, kind of connects us all. It’s companionship, it’s that hope, that dream of finding somebody. I think that is why the show has just been so relatable. It’s probably I think more social relevant now, more popular than it ever has been.
…it goes show just how hard it is out there and just how brutal it is, you know, I think that’s the wonderful thing about The Bachelor is I think that’s why we can all empathize. It’s why you can relate to what’s going on, and it’s why the franchise I think, has spanned 15 years and now 20 seasons of just The Bachelor not to mention The Bachelorette because, it’s a very simple concept really to think of the show.
Dating is HARD. Relationships are HARD. So, in a way, we can all relate to and empathize with people looking for love and trying to find the right person. The show just presents it in a much more dramatic and accelerated way! Here’s some things we learned about the show (and Season 20 specifically) and relationships in general:
- The drama is NOT scripted!!! The producers create the fishbowl setting and then the real emotions come out! In fact, Chris even mentioned that they “don’t have to cast crazy” because the crazy just comes out eventually.
- Contestants canNOT “fake” their way through this. He said the truth ALWAYS comes out!
- The first season was just 6, 1-hour episodes. This season they’ve produced 23-24 hours of TV! Crazy!
- Social media has been a game changer for the series. The producers could control what got out (for the most part), but now with social that’s not the case. Stuff gets out!
- “Women don’t wish other women well often times. And that is a very sad state of affairs in our society but it’s very true” – This is SAD. But it is true!
- The first night is the longest night of the season. They start shooting the second the sun goes down and are usually wrapping the rose ceremony as the sun comes up!
- Chris says this season’s Bachelor Ben is “sincere, humble and faith-based” and we’ll see that throughout the whole season. But, we also see this season that most of the “drama” is apparently Ben-induced due to some hang-ups and issues on his part!
Watch The Bachelor Season 20 Premiere on ABC at 8/7c on January 4th!
You can join in the fun on Twitter with #TheBachelor hashtag! There’s always all kinds of social media talk during the show!
Disclosure: I was invited and hosted by Disney/ABC to cover the #StarWarsEvent & #ABCTVEvent as part of an all-expenses paid press trip. As always, all opinions are entirely my own.