As a BIG fan of Roald Dahl stories, I’m thrilled to share that Disney’s The BFG (directed by Steven Speilberg) is now out on Digital HD, Blu-ray™ and Disney Movies Anywhere (Nov. 29th)! So, if you haven’t done so already, you can buy your copy of The BFG today!!! The BFG was one of my very favorite books as a kid and I loved many of the Roald Dahl books. So, I was excited to see my beloved big friendly giant come to life on the big screen! It’s such a great story…and makes for a great family movie! With all the beautiful imagery, this would be a great one to have a family movie night with during the holidays (and it would make a great family gift as well)!
With all the movies, I love doing fun movie nights or even just some themed activities! So, I’m sharing a few free printable coloring pages and activity sheets here. Plus, there are a couple of great BFG-themed DIY ideas included! Just click the links to download!
So great! I love the whimsy in this story! If you’re not familiar with the book or the movie, here’s some additional details:
Disney and Amblin Entertainment, in association with Walden Media, present the fantasy adventure film “The BFG,” the first-ever motion picture adaptation of Roald Dahl’s resonant tale of childhood, the magic of dreams and the extraordinary friendship between a young girl and a big friendly giant. Directed by three-time Academy Award® winner Steven Spielberg, the film reunites the director with his Oscar®-nominated collaborator on “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial,” Melissa Mathison, who adapted the children’s author’s timeless adventure for the big screen. This magical tale of an extraordinary friendship loaded with exciting extras will brighten the holidays for the whole family! “The BFG” comes to Digital HD, Blu-ray™ and Disney Movies Anywhere November 29.
Again, this is a great family-friendly to have at home. I took the boys to see it in the theater this summer and they really liked it! One of the things we always love about the Blu-rays & DVDs, is all the bonus features. Bonus features include**:
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL HD:
- Bringing “The BFG” to Life – Ruby Barnhill (Sophie) hosts a phizz-whizzing journey through the making of “The BFG.” This behind-the-scenes documentary details the film’s progression through interviews with Roald Dahl’s daughter Lucy Dahl, screenwriter Melissa Mathison, executive producers Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall and Kristie Macosko Krieger, and numerous members of the talented cast and crew.
- The Big Friendly Giant and Me – Sophie wasn’t the first “bean” in Giant Country—many illustrations were created as if drawn by a little boy who was there long before Sophie. This charming, in-world short will bring the drawings to life with animation and narration, recounting the friendship and the dreams shared between the boy and the Big Friendly Giant.
- Gobblefunk: The Wonderful Words of The BFG – A whoopsey-splunkers tutorial on the meaning of the gloriumptious gobblefunk in “The BFG.”
- Giants 101 – Jemaine Clement (Fleshlumpeater) and Bill Hader (Bloodbottler) introduce us to the loathsome giants in “The BFG,” along with movement choreographer/motion capture performer Terry Notary, who collaborated with the actors and Director Steven Spielberg prior to filming to develop their movements and character traits.
- Melissa Mathison: A Tribute – An homage to Melissa Mathison, the extraordinary, Oscar®-nominated screenwriter of “The BFG” and “E.T.,” whose talent and heart were as immense as the giants in “The BFG.”
- John Williams: Scoring A Dream – A journey through the film’s concept art and memorable moments, interwoven with the sights and sounds of legendary composer John William’s scoring session.
- Gobblefunk: The Wonderful Words of The BFG and Melissa Mathison: A Tribute
So, no matter what version you get is sure to have some fun bonus feature(s)! I definitely recommend buying this one for a family movie night! And, if you/your kids, haven’t read the book, pick that up too! It’s SO good!!!! All of our “BFG picks” below would make great holiday gifts!