How BIG is a billion dollars? Hard to comprehend, huh?! I think so! We know it’s a WHOLE lotta money, but how big is it really? Well, teachers, H&R Block is asking just that. They want YOU (classroom teachers and homeschool educators) to turn the idea of a billion dollars into a math assignment for a chance to win a $3,000 grant! As a former teacher, I LOVE this contest! This post is for ALL of my teacher friends out there! Teachers are invited to submit real-life examples that illustrate the concept of a billion dollars. Can you even imagine that much money?! Did you know that $1 is enough to fill 2,983 bathtubs?! Ha! Or, for teachers, how about this…
How Big is a Billion? Contest Details
- The contest runs through March 14, 2014 and to participate, teachers must submit a brief explanation and image of the creative concepts. To access the application, “like” the H&R Block Dollars & Sense Facebook page.
- Submissions should be square image, minimum size 650×650 pixels, with description of math and research utilized to create the example of the size of $1 billion.
- There are three prize categories: Elementary School, Middle School and High School and each level will be awarded a Grand Prize ($3,000 grant), 2nd place ($2,000 grant) and 3rd place ($1,000 grant).
- The first 50 entering educators will receive a $50 Gift Card!
- H&R Block has teamed up with WeAreTeachers, an online resource for lesson plans, professional development resources, grants and contests for teachers, to select the finalists and help encourage participation. H&R Block will select the grand prize winners.
- Entries will be evaluated based on accuracy and creativity.
- The contest is open to teachers and homeschool educators.
- Each participant can submit up to eight entries.
Join us for a Billion Dollar Twitter Party!
When: Tuesday, March 11, at 12p ET / 11a CT / 9a PT
Prizes: We will randomly award five prizes throughout the party, from all eligible correct responses to trivia questions. Each consists of a $200 gift cards. (No purchase necessary. Entrants must be legal residents of the United States, 18 years of age or older.)
Hosts: @theMotherhood, @theMotherhood25, @CooperMunroe, @EmilyMcKhann, @HRBlock
Your fellow co-hosts:
Alicia, Making Time for Mommy – @aliciamarie112