As a PBS KIDS VIP blogger, I have some super fun Wild Kratts news to share!! Are your kids fans of the show?! Our boys are HUGE fans! In fact, we did a whole big Wild Kratts birthday party for them. As a former high school biology teacher, I can’t say enough good things about this show. It’s absolutely great for my boys! So, we are SOOOOO excited that this week, starting Monday, August 19th, it’s Wild Kratts Reptile Week and there are FOUR NEW episodes premiering!! The boys have been seeing the teasers on PBS Kids and are so excited. Lucky for us, Wild Kratts is on here in Phoenix at 4pm in the afternoon, so Big Brother gets to watch after school! Here’s a sneak peek:
And, not only are we excited for new episodes, but many of the animals are all native to the deserts here in Arizona. So, that will be really fun for the boys. Take a look at the new episode features:
Rattlesnake Crystal (NEW) — premieres Monday, 8/19
The Kratt bros must use rattlesnake powers to find rare tellurium crystal, or else the Tortuga will go offline forever!
- Learning Goals: Some animals have infrared vision in addition to regular eyesight.
- Animals Featured: Rattlesnake
- Never Before or Rarely Seen Wildlife Moment: Rattlesnake hunting ground squirrels in underground burrows.
Gila Monster Under My House – premieres Tuesday, 8/20
Chris and Martin set out to prove that gila monsters are misunderstood lizards, and also to protect them from becoming part of Zach’s latest invention.
- Learning Goals: Gila monsters are one of the most unique and misunderstood lizards in North America.
- Animals Featured: Gila Monster
- Never Before or Rarely Seen Wildlife Moment: Gila monster eggs hatching, and gila monster prowling and defending itself against predators.
Tortuga Tune-Up – premieres Wednesday, 8/21
Aviva wants to upgrade the Tortuga with swimming capabilities, and so the Kratt brothers seek out a sea turtle for inspiration.
- Learning Goals: There are several classifications of turtle groups, and each have different characteristics depending on their environment.
- Animals Featured: Hawksbill turtle, dolphin, sea turtle, tiger shark
- Never Before or Rarely Seen Wildlife Moment: Inside view from sea sponge as it’s eaten by sea turtle, and hawksbill turtle defending itself from tiger shark.
Road Runner (NEW) — premieres Thursday, 8/22
While trying to catch an elusive lizard in the Sonoran Desert, Martin and Chris stumble upon a roadrunner and try to use its running powers to uncover the identity of the mystery lizard.
- Learning Goals: Roadrunners are a unique species of bird that runs to catch prey.
- Animals Featured: Roadrunner
- Never Before or Rarely Seen Wildlife Moment: Two roadrunners working together to hunt a rattlesnake.
So, be sure to check your local PBS KIDS listings for show times! It’s sure to be a wildly good time! And, for more Wild Kratts fun anytime, there are some great apps that we just got to check out: Wild Kratts Creature Math and Wild Kratts Creature Power!
Wild Kratts Creature Math
Creature Math helps children practice addition and subtraction and learn valuable ecology/science concepts as they create their very own animal habitat, filled with cool creature pals! Featuring eight different animals, Creature Math keeps kids engaged as they care for their animals and habitat.
The game starts with a large open environment. By answering simple addition and subtraction questions (some two digit numbers), kids can start placing animals and their food sources into the environment. But, they need to keep their animals happy! Big Brother absolutely LOVES playing this! And, I love that it’s a combination of math practice while learning science concepts! It’s a great way for him to practice his math facts!
Wild Kratts Creature Power
Description: Dive into the world of animals with the Kratt brothers in three awesome animal adventures! Explore special creature powers in these engaging games, as you pollinate flowers as a bee, bathe elephants, and feed a family of raccoons. Wild Kratts Creature Power includes three fun, immersive games, each focused on a specific science concept, and filled with interesting science facts. Earn stickers and take your picture in a Creature Power Suit as you earn high scores and learn that animals can take you anywhere in science!
Do YOU have Wild Kratts fans at home? Will you be watching the new Reptile Week episodes?
Disclosure: As a PBS KIDS VIP blogger, I received free download codes for the apps. However, all opinions and experiences are entirely my own. We were HUGE Wild Kratts fans long before being a PBS KIDS blogger!