We’re back in Nebraska enjoying time with friends and family. Tomorrow we’ll be at a family reunion and I wanted to make something a little fun and festive to share– some sort of patriotic fun food, of course! I needed something easy to make and that could potentially sit outside for a while ok. Then an idea struck! With the popularity of the “Christmas Crack” (a sweet & salty white chocolate chex mix), I thought it would be fun to make some “4th of July Crack”! It turned out great and we have a big ‘ole bowl of patriotic, “red, white, and blue”, sweet & salty Chex mix.
SUPER yum! It’s got just the right amount of sweet and salty, with fun patriotic colors! I even made this version gluten free!! And it came out great! You can whip this up quickly and easily for any 4th of July festivities you have going on!
Patriotic Sweet & Salty Chex Mix — aka “4th of July Crack”
- 1 12oz box of Rice Chex
- 3 cups Corn Chex
- 2 cups dried cranberries
- 4 cups mixed nuts (chopped)
- 1 to 2 lbs. vanilla almond/candy bark (or white chocolate)
- 1/2 package of red candy melts
- 1/2 package of blue candy melts
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Melt the vanilla almond bark. I always just use the microwave, but you can get a smoother melt by going with the fancier double boiler method! Pour melted “white chocolate” over the dry ingredients and combine. You want everything to be coated–how well coated is totally up to your discretion. I’m not a fan of being too sweet, so I tend to use a little less. If it’s not coated to your liking, then just melt some more and add it in.
- Pour mixture on to a large cookie sheets lined with wax paper. For the amount I made, I used 3 different sheets. Allow to dry. While it’s drying, repeat step 2 with the red and blue candy melts. I did about half the mixture with red and half with blue to keep it a little separated.
- Once it’s all dry, you can mix it back together in a large bowl or cute serving dishes!